Spider 2.0 or 3.0? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 12 Old 21-06-10 Thread Starter
County: Perth and Kinross
Spider 2.0 or 3.0?

I am looking to invest in a 916 Spider circa 2001.

I have been aware of the great rep of the Alfa 3.0L engine for many years, and was therefore looking at V6 versions only. A recent review article suggested that the the 2.0 L engine was better suited to the Spider.

Simple question .......2.0 Litre or V6? ( I anticipate less simple answers)
Sponsored Links
AO Member
County: Carmarthenshire

Member car:

Depends what you can get for your money.

Personally V6. The engine is a classic. I don't think there is a vast amount in the fuel economy. V6 are good value at the moment due to the cost of fuel. You wont be disapointed. If your going to buy one buy the one you want and everyone even if they don't admit it would want a V6.
AO Member

Member car:

Alfa Romeo gtv

V6 and that's coming from a 2.0 owner , you can't beat the engine noise even at slow speeds who needs astereo comes to mind
AO Gold Member
County: Brokopondo
Ah but! a V6 with its lard *** will understeer clean off the road while a twinspark will eat it alive on the twisty stuff!
AO Gold Member
County: Merseyside
Originally Posted by EauRouge View Post
Ah but! a V6 with its lard *** will understeer clean off the road while a twinspark will eat it alive on the twisty stuff!
You have to fight with it but a V6 will do twisties as quick as a Twinny, have to admit it's easier in the Twinny though.
Bert Cheese
I'd go for the V6, just make sure you buy the right one though as there are plenty of truly horrible wrecks in Spider/GTV land these days.

As for the handling, unless you intend driving the thing like they do on Top Gear everywhere it should not be a huge issue, I've driven dozens of the things over the years and never found the V6 to be a problem when cornering.

If it helps, my last Alfa was a GTV TS and the engine was so frustratingly bad that I did a little dance of joy when I sold it on to some unsuspecting fool.........
AO Platinum Member
County: Oxfordshire
It would have to be a V6 for me.

The 2.0 in spider form is not all that fast, and the V6 also gives great sound effects with the roof down.
AO Silver Member
County: West Sussex
Only my opinion but the spider handles second best to a gtv ,if you want speed get a gtv which has the roadholding to match. Secondly being a soft top your inclined to want to drop the roof on a sunny day and cruise around.Doing 0-60 mph in 6 seconds in a covertible is fun but when stopping her indoors has to spend the next 15 minutes brushing her hair. The v6 is more suited to the gtv or a gta.I am open minded i had a 911 sc year 1984 a couple of years ago for the summer it went like the wind but she had time to brush her hair (and do her make up ) every time we came to a roundabout or serious bend.

Last edited by seymour beaver; 21-06-10 at 20:50.
AO Silver Member
County: -
v6, every time - and thats from another 2.0 owner.
AO Member
County: New South Wales
V6..... also from a 2.0 owner who is looking to replace his TS with a V6
(Post Link) post #11 of 12 Old 22-06-10 Thread Starter
County: Perth and Kinross
Thanks guys. Lots of good straightforward advice. You Alfa Boys are a lot more pragmatic than my Lancia friends!

Looks like I hold out for a V6. Super fast cornering is not going to be necessary, and I think that John_C probably has it right. Heart, possibly ruling head, everyone really wants the V6. ( Don't you just hate it when Jeremy C is correct?)
AO Member
County: Greater London
I'd say go for the V6, but only if you can afford it as they are not cheap to run. Insurance can be high, it guzzles petrol and eats tyres, especially if you thrash it about. Also, try to find one that has had some of the big jobs done (cam belt, radiator, Q2, shocks to name but a few.)

All of that said, I love my V6 (although it's not a Spider)

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa GTV & 916 Spider