GTV prospective buyer - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
GTV prospective buyer

Hi Guys

Went to see one yesterday 2001 2.0TS in blue with red leather. Lovely looking car as you would expect, but a few things prevented me from taking the plunge. It has only 75k on the clock but there is no evidence of a cambelt change, the belt looks pretty new in my non-expert opinion and the engine sounds pretty sweet but i feel i need to be sure. Also the belt has no cover on it, i seem to remember my 156 had a plastic cover on it.

Other main point was the service history. Dealer up to 2005 but then seems to have been a big gap back end of last year when an independent did a fairly comprehensive one (reciept available). Also front brake pads and discs were done and rear suspension was done for MOT this year. MOT has 8months to run.

Pinafarina badge on passenger side was snapped off also, are these easy to replace or come by?

Last thing was the tailpipe looked a bit rusty, was unable to see the rest of the exhaust but it did sound good from the back.

There were a lot of positives but was unsure as per the details above. It's up for 2500 which i think is a bit steep, i could probably dive in at 1800-2000.

Any advice or opinion on this? Worth pursuing or wait until a safer bet comes along?

Last edited by Uncle-Ed; 30-06-10 at 09:23.
Sponsored Links
AO Member
County: Kent

Member car:

Phase II GTV 2.0

there are so many on for sale that you are better off waiting for one with some good work history
AO Member

Member car:

Chances are that the cam belt has been done once but the absence of documentation to prove when is a big negative. Its not a problem if the price reflects this but it sounds a little on the high side.
It should certainly have a cam belt cover on it.
Badge is not a problem.
If everthing else looks good then worth a cheeky offer but there are more fish in the sea.
AO Platinum Member
County: Languedoc Roussillon
Too many "ifs" about this car, well cared for examples have all the documents to back up work done, mileage and date........I would personaly look for one with proof of work....... :Hmm:

You could try doing a check on previous MoT's to check mileage and any advisories over last 5 years, you will need the reg and the previous test certificate number to do it on-line.......

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa GTV & 916 Spider

buyer , gtv , prospective