Sump Plug thread! Is this the best idea? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 8 Old 04-06-10 Thread Starter
AO Gold Member
County: Brokopondo
Sump Plug thread! Is this the best idea?

Hi Folks,

Just yesterday, i gave my Spider a good old oil and Airfilter change. Treated her to 5w/40 Fully Synth Castrol oil and went for a drive, i thought the engine had been using oil at an alarming rate of late knew i had a leak somewhere. Had a look inbelow while she was on a lift and asked my mechanic where it was leaking from as i suspected the cam cover gasket.

Top of engine was spotless yet my leaks appeared to be from below, identified yje pipes from the oil filter, the twin pipes that run upto or from engine block higher up below exhaust manifold and identified the rubber pipes that link the metal pipes together was leaking and identified as source of my leak.

So! i have a sump where i let some idiot work on it and he overtightened the nut and rammed a load of sealant around it to seal. It hasn't leaked and oil changes have been done since with an extractor.
I now want to fix the sump! and have started thinking that i will buy the sump extension sockets from SimplyAlfa and take it off?...... Is it a diffucilt job if you have the two extension socket?
.....If i take the sump off what is the best advice to sort the problem? Should i have it threaded for a larger sump plug or simply Helicoil?

Just interested in peoples opinions as i know there are many threads on this subject, but most are regarding the sump in situ!

Many thanks as always,

Sponsored Links
AO Rosso Alfa Member
County: Northamptonshire
i do know that the 2 back bolts are a right pig to get to. why dont you have it helicoiled in situ?

by the way its good to know that someone else is using 5/40 fully synthetic oil
AO Member
County: West Midlands
I've just discovered the same issue on my Spider: the guy who serviced the Spider when owned by the previous owner decided to lock the plug as much as he could....what a nightmare!!
So after replacing the oil few days ago, I put the plug back on and it turned....forever!
As I couldn't drive the car anywhere I dropped it to a local garage who planned to put a helicoiled on it but from what they said to me this week, the sump is too thin and the original plug too large so they can't do anything on it. The only solution was to replace the oil sump.....or how to convert a 10 min oil replacement by a £400 bill!
Not happy about it but this issue will be solved, maybe you can find a used sump in good conditions if you've got the time?
AO Silver Member
County: West Sussex
Sumps can be had from £25 secondhand.Dare i say i throw them away after collecting more than three as they get in the way.Whilst they are time consuming and a bit tricky to change a secondhand one may give you piece of mind.Whilst your at it why not change the big end shells cos they only cost around £27 a set.Once the sump is off its another hour at the most.
AO Member
County: Wrexham

Member car:

I had a similar problem recently, the oil filter and plug had been seriously over tightened and the sump plug wouldn't tighten up.

Solution was not to use silicon but to put the new copper washer I had and also use the old one to space out the plug. result was that it tightened up fine and hasn't even leaked in the slightest in a couple of thousand miles.
if your buying from simply alfa's ask john or matt whats best, im sure they'll help you out. what they don't know about alfa's isn't worth knowing
AO Member
My local garage helicoiled mine in-situ 2 weeks ago for £95.
AO Gold Member
County: Kent
Helecoil is the best way to go, at least until the sump has to come off for any reason, but a good helecoil is as good as new.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa GTV & 916 Spider

idea , plug , sump , thread