GTV 2L V6 turbo 96 - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 4 Old 13-05-10 Thread Starter
County: Valencia
GTV 2L V6 turbo 96

hallo every one ...
my name is tzuk im living in spain and ive just bought an alfa romeo gtv tb (2L v6 turbo) 1996 and and there some thing ill want to know but i dont have no one 2 ask ..
first ill be happy to know what type of turbo theres in the car and what are the posibilities of changing it on a close engine ?
is it posible to change the cilinder head to one from the 3L V6 24v model ?
what else i can improve in the car ? just bought a new set of koni , K&N air filter and denso spark plugs .
i would be happy to get so tips or every type of info about the car .

thanx ahead

Sponsored Links
AO Silver Member
County: Skåne

Member car:

Hi, original turbo is a Garrett TB2538 (water and oil cooled), if you are going to change it,
the new turbo needs a T25 flange for the connection to the exhausts and you probably need to
construct a new down pipe as OE down pipe is special and does not fit the normal T25 outlet flange.

The size of the turbo upgrade is also a problem as it is not much space where the turbo is mounted.

You can not use a 3L V6 24v cilinder head on the TB (12V 2L) they are diffrent.

As a first step to more HP and torque, is the use of an chip probably the easiest and best way to go.
Alfa GTV 2.0 V6 Turno

A more open exhaust system for example Ragazzon gives better throttle response, a bit faster spool up and a few more HP.
Alfa Romeo Shop - Tuning, Styling, Fanartikel und Modellautos - Alfa Spider and Alfa GTV Ragazzon stainless steel centre silencer Ragazzon Stainless Steel Central Silencer - small 32084
Alfa Romeo Shop - Tuning, Styling, Fanartikel und Modellautos - Alfa Spider und Alfa GTV Ragazzon Edelstahl Endschalldämpfer 2x70 DTM Ragazzon Edelstahl Endschalldämpfer 2x70 DTM 32089
Alfa Romeo Shop - Tuning, Styling, Fanartikel und Modellautos - Alfa Spider und Alfa GTV Ragazzon Edelstahl Endschalldämpfer 2x70 Ragazzon Edelstahl Endschalldämpfer 2x70 32088

In my opinion is an upgrade of the front brakes one of the most important and best upgrades you can do on the TB,
and the replacement/upgrade of the rear shock absorbers, but that you have already done.

Then you can continue with the front shock absorbers, as you already have done and Powerflex the rear suspension.

AO Member
County: Sofia

Member car:

rare alfas

tuning Alfa Romeo 2.0 V6 turbo engine

What are the weaknesses of this engine. Liners? Bearings? ...
Does anybody know projects with that engine and some details of that projects?
Here in Bulgaria there is Alfa Romeo 156 with 2.0 v6 turbo engine from GTV with upgrades after transplantation. Аllegedly it was 320-330ps with changed internals and possibility for more. Turbo IHI VF23 at 1bar peak.
If someone in the this forum is tuned that engine, will be very good to tell details.
AO Member

Member car:

916 GTV

i have autodelta re-map and its enough for me ...
but as far as i know its hard to squeeze much more hp from this engine because you cannot add another turbo or make the turbo bigger due to small engine bay...
i guess you can do something with wastegate adjustments, chip tuning, installing evc, or changing lambda and installing wideband...
im sure this engine is capable of 300 hp but then you should only use it in weekends or on races...
forgot the mention i have custom exhaust and pipercross viper airfilter, magnecor ht leads and a new fuel pump will be added soon.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa GTV & 916 Spider

gtv , turbo