Hesitation when accelerating - split pipes or MAF?!! - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 4 Old 04-05-10 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Surrey

Member car:

GTV Phase 2 V6

Hesitation when accelerating - split pipes or MAF?!!

Hi All,

I have searched loads on hesitation/juddering when accelerating and the MAF/AFM and whilst the info has been really helpful, nothing seems to address my problem exactly - would really appreciate some help!

I have had a 1999 2.0L Spider 4 months and when I take it out on longer drives and put my foot down, have noticed a hestitation/loss of power/juddering feeling at about 3500-5000 rpm. It is worse in lower gears (2nd the worst) and always worse on a hill start. If I accelerate gently I can avoid it but it's really bad when I put my foot to the floor. It rarely happens when cruising along in 5th at 70-80 mph.

I'm trying to decide whether to disconnect the MAF and take it for a drive to see what happens but am confused about a couple of things!

Have just been down to have a look at the AFM and can see a load of small, ribbed pipes coming off the top which then wind around to the top of the bonnet and are connected to what looks like a fan type thing. (Can you tell I'm a novice?!) These are completely cracked and have clearly been tied up with bits of rag...there are about 9 or 10 places where this has been done.

Could these leaks cause the problem? Are these pipes even related to the AFM?! Is the AFM and MAF the same thing?! If the pipes are the problem, is this a huge and costly issue to sort out?

I have been told by an Alfa garage that if I disconnect the MAF and take it out, I then need to take it to a garage to be put on a diagnostic machine to erase the fault code and turn the warning light out. Is this true? I have read on here that starting it 6 times will solve the problem but not sure what is right? (At the moment there is no warning light on)

Basically I am confused! I don't want to disconnect the MAF and have to take it in to get 're-set' if that isn't the issue. But equally, I don't know what these pipes are and if they could be causing the problem!

Any advice/thoughts are much appreciated, thanks.
Sponsored Links
AO Gold Member
County: Merseyside
Mate, i did my air intake pipes and forgot to plug the MAF back in, the light came on when driving, when i got home i plugged it back in and the light went out.
AO Member
County: Bedfordshire
What engine are we talking about here? Can you upload a photo, or find one to use as reference? I had a split in my air intake pipe that caused a big flat spot at 3500rpm on my V6.
AO Member
County: Hlavní město Praha

Member car:

GTV V6 Turbo!

If those small ribbed pipes are protective covers, then if they are cracked then that shouldn't be an issue, it is what they 'protect' that is important.

However, pictures would be great, get your digital camera out and let us see.

Just in case I don't see this thread again, it sounds as though the intermittance is occurring when the engine is 'under load', so could be dodgy distributor cap, rotor and/or HT Leads.

Wherabouts are you located? The best thing for you to do would be to find a good independent Alfa man near you, check on this site to see whether he has a good reputation, then call him up and ask him to take a look. It won't hurt things if you mention you are running a thread on this site.....

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa GTV & 916 Spider

accelerating , hesitation , maf , pipes , split