Camber Issues - Any ideas? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 4 Old 01-05-10 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: West Midlands

Member car:

GTV V6 3.0

Camber Issues - Any ideas?

Hi all.

Just been to get my GTV tracked and the guy turns around and says it's too far out for him to do anything! He says the camber on the left front is miles out

Anyway results below:

Front (Reverse for RH)

Camber 0.21 to -0.19
Caster 3.35 to 2.35
Toe 0.08 to -0.04

Rear (Reverse for RH)

Camber -1.43 to -2.23
Toe 0.08 to 0.13

LH Front

Camber :-1.27
Caster :1.55
Toe :1.03

RH Front

Camber :-0.35
Caster :-2.11
Toe :-0.06

Total Toe 0.53

Left Rear
Camber :-3.05
Toe :-0.01

Right Rear
Camber :-2.03
Toe :0.19

I have scanned the results in for you to look at.

Is there anything that can be done to solve the camber problems? The wishbones were replaced with none OEM parts so I'm guessing it's these which are causing the problems? Or could it be worn shocks/springs?

I replaced the wishbones as I found the car was tramlining really badly, and the bushes were dead, however they didn't seem to solve this, and from what I can remember the tramlining came on pretty suddenly. It was near the time I had new tyres fitted though, and I blamed these for a while.

I have included my original tracking results from the middle of last year for a comparison. I'm going to go back there for a second opinion as well, but would like to know what you guys think it could be!

Cheers All

Attached Images
File Type: jpg scan00011.jpg (42.1 KB, 35 views)
File Type: jpg scan00022.jpg (33.5 KB, 20 views)
Sponsored Links
AO Member
County: Bristol
I don't know a whole lot about suspension stuff (the 916's is a bit complicated to get my head around!) but when my suspension bushes were shot my car was given back to me after a tyre change as 'untrackable' - certainly sounds similar. I subsequently had front and rear bushes replaced and the tracking done on a 4-wheel tracking machine, and it finished well within spec.

I don't personally feel that bushes are easy to inspect, requiring a bit of judgement as they do, but I could certainly feel that my steering was imprecise on fast corners (although would never admit it!) - after the bushes were changed and the tracking sorted she handled hugely better

AO Member
County: Essex

Member car:

alfa romeo gtv

hi ,i do tracking on a 4 wheel alignment set up ,i would say if you have no free play on any bushes ,i would replace shock sound like its bent,if you look up at the shock see the gap between shock and tyre is it equal to the other front wheel if not thats youre problem
(Post Link) post #4 of 4 Old 04-06-10 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: West Midlands

Member car:

GTV V6 3.0

Well problem solved, I got a second opinion (took it to the guys who first did it when I first bought the car)

The camber was nowhere near what the guys above said. Its now 0.66 degrees out of spec which I can live with as they are after market wishbones and I've replaced nothing else, so I'm happy for now

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa GTV & 916 Spider

camber , ideas , issues