Is this the end? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 4 Old 30-04-10 Thread Starter
County: -
Cry Like A Baby Is this the end?

After 76K and 9 years , almost to the day, my radiator let go quite spectacularly today on my 2001 Spider 2.0 TS I was doing 'motorway speeds' at the time so traveled about 2 miles before stopping - the temp gauge was off the scale
When the recovery truck dropped me at the local garage and put some water in I could start the engine but it was running very very rough. There doesn't seem to be any water in the oil though.
Ill get the garage to put a new radiator on but I am very worried about damage to the engine.
Has anyone had a similar radiator failure? It has a huge crack in, water just pours straight out.
She had a new alternator 2 months ago, and is probably only worth about 3.5k.
Has anyone run a spider for more than 90K + miles? And do you have a £90K+ a year garage bill?
I am quite sadly emotionally attached to this one so id like to keep her going for as long as possible, I was thinking of maybe sticking a reconditioned V6 in there - if that possible? Or how much is a reconditioned 2.0TS?
Do you think its just time to go spider shopping again?
Sponsored Links
AO Silver Member
County: Setúbal
For sure it doesn't have to be the end... Just keep your hopes up.

From what I've read here on AO, Auto Lusso offers great reconed engines, so you might want to give them a call if you end up needing a new engine... But it might just be something less dramatic. Just don't Panic.
I'm sure there will be lots of guys here helping you out.

I hope all goes well

All the best

AO Member
County: Wrexham

Member car:

I'm fixing a gtv which has had radiator failure, however it is the fins on the radiator which have gone and caused it I believe, not a coolant leak. Regardless, with some savvy shopping I've managed to get all the parts (gaskets, belts, good cond rad, head skim, bolts etc.) for under £300 so far. You could get an engine from anywhere between £150 - £700 in 2.0TS form, but its best spend on your own engine really as you know where you stand with it and its unlikely to be at fault again.
AO Silver Member
County: Surrey
Personally if it was me I'd forget the idea of converting a TS to V6, too involved, wiring looms, brakes, suspension etc will need doing and then you might as well buy one.

You probably need to get the car down to a reputable who will be able to assess whether you engine has survived or whether it's head off time.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa GTV & 916 Spider