GTV being very erratic. ECU or other problem? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 2 Old 12-04-10 Thread Starter
County: Tyne and Wear

Member car:

GTV 2.0 TS 16v

GTV being very erratic. ECU or other problem?

My GTV is doing some very weird things today and I'm wondering if there are any suggestions as to the fault.

I do often suffer from the engine-management light problem, but it usually goes off within a minute or so of starting the car, today it's stopping on a lot longer but also there are strange things going on.

I drove about 15 miles this afternoon with the light on all the way, but seemingly no issues happening with the car. When I reached my destination I noticed the fan was running like crazy.

I set off about 1 1/2 hours later, or at least I did after about six attempts at starting the car. I really have no clue what was going on here, it sounded as if it wouldn't actually fire - I'm pretty sure it wasn't the battery or alternator.

Got going and the fan problem hit again. Pulled up at my next destination about 10 minutes later and the oil was fairly smoking out of the engine, despite the engine temperature running as normal for my car on trips of this length, just above 50.

Next trip was about 2 hours later, drove about 3 mins and stopped for fuel as my fuel was way low. I put 20 in, the needle went straight up, but the fuel light stayed on about 5 mins (along with the engine management light) and went off at exactly the same time as the engine-management light did. This is the reason I am suspecting an electronics glitch somewhere. (Fan was also running like crazy again).

The last weird thing I noticed shortly before arriving back home is that whenever I dipped the clutch pedal (and foot 100% off the gas pedal) the revs would rise rapidly and go back down when I let the pedal back out.

Any ideas?
Sponsored Links
(Post Link) post #2 of 2 Old 13-04-10 Thread Starter
County: Tyne and Wear

Member car:

GTV 2.0 TS 16v

RAC have checked the car today. (Had to call for a homestart as the car started, stalled itself then wouldn't start again).

The car started first time when he got here, lots of smoke coming out of the exhaust which he says is petrol burning off - the reason it is struggling to start is an excess of petrol in the works, so it won't spark up. He explained the ECU is compensating (over-compensating I think!) for this by revving the engine high in a bid to cure the problem (it settled down to normal levels after about 10 mins of running) and also that's why the fan is running like crazy, apparently because the ECU knows something is wrong but doesn't know what is wrong so it just goes into an emergency mode and runs everything it can in a bid to keep the engine under control.

The question he couldn't answer is why is there an excess of petrol being pumped in. He recommended taking it to an Alfa garage (which for me would be Lyles in Newcastle) if it continues giving me problems. I did drive 12 miles to work with no problems after he'd been, although the engine light was flickering on and off at times.

Still....does anyone have any ideas what may be causing this and if it's easily and cheaply fixed?

Further update:

I figured a bottle of Redex might be worth a try, so did. Car started normally this time (I know the Redex of course would take a while to find it's way around) but still with a high idle around 2500rpm, which it kept but only for about 5mins this time. The fault light kept flickering on and off for a good 15 mins but eventually went off and stayed off for the final 20 mins of my journey. I got home and left the car and restarted a few times (about 5 min gaps inbetween) and the idle was as it should be every time.

My next journey has been this morning, setting off at 7am in pretty cold temperatures. Same problem this morning, very high idle and again the fault light flickering on and off quite often (i.e. on for about a quarter of a second, literally a flash and it's gone). This time the fan did not start up with the engine, so I'm thinking it may not be a temperature or ECU error.

Any thoughts on it perhaps being the choke stuck and that's what is flooding the engine? (RAC insisted the high idle is simply the ECU increasing the revs to burn off the excess fuel).

Does anyone even have any thoughts whatsoever on this? Please?!

I've only had this car 6 months and already forked out 1,500 on it - I'm very loath to go to a garage and hand over yet more hundreds for a job that may or may not fix the car. I'm happy to do relatively easy jobs myself, if only to try, someone must have experienced the same symptoms as me before?

Yes I have checked the search facility but there doesn't seem to be anything matching what I've had.

Last edited by randomthought; 14-04-10 at 07:38.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa GTV & 916 Spider

ecu , erratic , gtv , problem