The Ariel on my GTV was not extending fully, so decided to clean it to try and free it up. In the process of trying to get it to extend I have ended up pulling the lot clean out of the car, cable and all! Whilst it was out I gave it a good clean with WD40 to remove all the grease and then polished it with a mix of car polish and autosol to clean the tarnished metal and create a silky smooth action. Now for the tricky part, putting it back together! Tried feeding it back in the hole but that did not work so pulled the boot lining out to get to the motor. The unit faces towards the front of the car, so leaving in is situ I removed four screws from the around the face of the unit and the central screw holding it together. Then removed the face, which hinges at the top, the internal wheel cover (where the ariel cord coils into) fails out leaving a white wheel and guide shroud, removing these gives access to the shaft. The ariel cord would still not guide so used a long plastic cable tie, pushed up from inside as a guide to get the original cable to thread back in. Once in, set the Ariel at full height then carefully fit the guide case and cog wheel before the outer case and hold in place whilst you fit the cover back on with the centre bolt to hold it together before testing. Not the easiest thing to do, need a socket screwdriver to get access to the screws and two pairs of hands to hold it together whilst you put all the bits back in. Main thing is to get the cable fully extended so that you can set the cog wheel that holds it together. All works like a treat...! REMEMBER: Don't grease up your car Ariel as it just becomes a grinding paste in the bottom of the unit, clean it with autosol and polish to keep it smooth. WD40 helps as a penetrating agent but again clean off any excess.