meta key fob and red keys. - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 5 Old 08-04-10 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Carmarthenshire

Member car:

meta key fob and red keys.

Hi I wonder whether anyone can explain the full situation to me. I have looked on the past the threads but I don't see a complete answer.

I have bought a car with a red key only. I believe I can get this key replicated in timpsons or wherever if they can copy the transponder code.

What is the benifit of the brown key ( which I do not have) apart from reprogramming keys where the code has been lost ? Is there a situation say after major work done when the battery has been disconnected or the wind blows the wrong direction that the brown keys is the only one that will work?

I reciently called out a mobile locksmith the other day for my father in law who lost his keys to his ford. They cut keys and reprogrammed the ECU to the new key codes ( so the lost keys could not be used) from the side of the road. Is this still a possible option with an alfa hence a brown key is a nice to have but not not the end of the world if you can get the locksmith out.

I want to get a few sets of keys cut so that I am not stranded anywhere losing keys

Moves on to my next question. I have only one meta key fob. How do I get replacements and how do I reprogram the replacement to open and close the car and do the alarm etc.
The meta key fob I have is already glued together so I guess it is only a matter of time.
Can I get a get a plipper built in to the key??? or is this not an option for replacement keys?

Thanks as always.

Sponsored Links
Club Member
Membro Premio
Club Member Number: 479
County: Norfolk
As long as you get keys cloned from your key then there really is no need to have the BROWN master key in my opinion. Read this guide from Jamie Porter - Alfa Key CODE System, According to Jamie the master key was only used to program a virgin ECU.

The alarm question is more easier to answer, yes you can still get new fob/plips for the META alarm system, as long as you have the RED Meta Code Card. These are the guys for the META alarm system - Abacus Car Alarms. If you do not have the code card for the alarm ECU then you do have the option of removing the alarm ECU and having the code read, this can only be done 'on the bench'.
I dont think you are able to have the integral key/fob, as this combination was for the ALFA alarm system only (imported cars, I think)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Code Card (Lge).jpg (74.3 KB, 5 views)
(Post Link) post #3 of 5 Old 08-04-10 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Carmarthenshire

Member car:

Thanks you again Stixy, you are answering all of my questions today.
I can see abacus will reprogram or read the ecu and send back 2 fobs for 99.
Ok not the cheapest thing in the world but so long as there is the option thats the main thing!
I feel 2 keys and 2 fobs coming . my current fob seems very hit and miss.
AO Member
County: -
Abacus did a great job, I had those gooey rubbery original META fobs that fell to bits. I called Abacus and gave the code off the keycard over the phone, paid 71.99 by card. The next day two brand new dics shaped fobs arrived, followed the simple alarm recoding instructions and bingo!

Brilliant! Can't recommend them enough!

Good to know

My nails have just about destroyed the rubbery bits on my keyfob I'm not using the remote anymore as a result.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa GTV & 916 Spider

fob , key , keys , meta , red