Brakes - Page 2 - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #26 of 28 Old 26-03-10 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Kent

Member car:

***** gtv

wow everyone will take sometime to digest that over the weekend, i am sure the amount of pad area relates to the amount of friction.
Sponsored Links
AO Silver Member
Originally Posted by Goudy View Post
So what you're saying is,
that it's nothing to do with the pad and how much of this pad contacts the disc, AND if the area it small, heat builds up and reduces efficiency.

How would one reduce this small area building up heat and reducing efficiency? If "For the last time: FRICTION IS NOT DEPENDENT ON AREA."
You make the pad bigger. This works just as well if you make the pad thicker.

Originally Posted by Goudy View Post
So, Bambi will need to find a way of reducing heat, without spreading this heat out over a larger surface area, is this how he will solve his brake problem?
I thought you were going to leave it to Bambi and the MoT inspector to see how the problem got resolved? However, since you ask, I don't think Bambis problem is heat build up - certainly not in an MoT test station. I think either corrosion and pad deposits have reduced the effectiveness of the pad / disc (hence my comment about giving it a thrash to see if it improves) or the caliper / piston is sticking.
AO Member
County: Greater London

Member car:

Ex Spider Owner

"I think either corrosion and pad deposits have reduced the effectiveness of the pad / disc"

That's what I think, as a stated much earlier, but I put it down to wear of disc/pad.

There's an experiment that could be done to prove/disprove the theory of "friction has nothing to do with area"
There's a few things that would be needed.
1, need a test car (not mine thanks)
2, two sets of pads, one normal, one with 50% of brake lining removed
3, long road and brick wall
4, someone to drive, I'll put my hand up and test the pads with 100% of brake linings, anyone fancy testing the 50% ones?

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa GTV & 916 Spider