Phase 1 Cooling Fan Resistors Question (1st+2nd speed controllers) - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 13 Old 02-03-10 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member
County: Hampshire
Phase 1 Cooling Fan Resistors Question (1st+2nd speed controllers)

I think the fan resistors have gone on the g/f's car again!! Or should I say the 'thermal fuse' has broken. The first and second speeds are not cutting in when they should.

How I long for the simpler ECU controlled solution on the phase 2 cars!!

Is there a way to bypass these resistors or even better repair the old ones without the thermal fuse - without having to keep paying 25 a resistor block - which inevitably only last a year or two at a time.

We keep getting a scare when the fans don't come in as they should although the car has not overheated or gone over 100 degrees. I know something is not right. The rest of the cooling system is tip top.

Any Thoughts.

Sponsored Links
AO Gold Member
County: Brokopondo
JR i would go to a breakers and get a 2nd hand system, i have the phase one and its never given me any bother whatsoever! I guess the fault is not in your resistors rather somewhere else in the system and therefore you are addressing the symptons rather than the cause!? Maybe the fans/fan motors themselves?

Last edited by EauRouge; 02-03-10 at 17:19.
AO Member
County: Buckinghamshire
The resistors are for the slow speed only; they won't affect the full speed. Check the connectors; they often burn out.
Unfortunately, there are several different fan control systems on early GTV's. Does your car have the control unit under the o/s/f inner wing cover? If so, check the fuses/connections on this unit.
There is also more than one type of resistor; if you fit the wrong ones they'll work, but not for long.
AO Silver Member
County: Setúbal
I got mine fixed today... Mine had burnt connections, so a colleague of mine (automotive electrician) took them out and drilled a hole but the burnt connector to back plate of the corresponding connector and fitted a bolt and nut fixing a connector with some new wire... He said the resistor was ok and the connectors burnt because there was a loose connection... hope this helps.
My fan never stopped working, but I guess it starts a bit earlier now... around 90
Regional Support
For Lincolnshire - AOL
You can buy Thermal Fuses from Maplins/CPC and the like, they are very cheap. Not sure what Temp Rating is required though, all the ones I have seen have had the colour and the printed markings burnt off. The end cap colour and/or the printed markings give the Temp Rating.

Alternatively just replace with a wire link, this is not unknown......
(Post Link) post #6 of 13 Old 03-03-10 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member
I think best step will be to take the fans out completely at the weekend, check and clean all the connectors and go from there. When the fans do cut in - they sound and perform fine. It is possibly a connector issue though rather than a part.

Do you need to take the rad out/bumper off to remove the twin fans?? Anyone know?

Unless it is not the resistors but the 2 speed relays playing about (coded L99 and L100).

I believe (although I could be wrong) the fan relays are located under the drivers side protective cover (under the bonnet) to the rear of the D/S headlight on our car.

Ours doesn't seem to overheat but to my knowledge I think the 1st speed sounds like it's working, perhaps the 2nd speed isn't. It never seems to get to the full speed anymore, just keeps putting the slow speed on for a few seconds at a time, then off again!
AO Member
County: Greater London
Well, after months of my fan not working correctly (first speed not coming on) the second speed fan has decided it wants to run all the time. Even when the car is off. I've had to take out the relay to stop it!
AO Member

Member car:

Spider 2000

I had the fan unit out on mine when I replaced the radiator, and noticed the resistor assembly was prone to corrosion on the terminals. Try wire brush and grease on the electrical conections.
AO Silver Member

Member car:

GTV twinspark

I had a look at my resistors at the weekend and both are stuffed, one has blown the element and one has melted the connector

I`m going to attempt to re-engineer the connections on both using the method mentioned above, drill through the tags and stick a bolt through, then attach pigtails with crimped eyelets.

For the one with the broken element, I reckon 18swg nichrome wire is about the same csa and resistance, so will attempt to rewire it.. you can get about 1m for 4 off ebay, enough to rewire about 3 resistors

I`m also going to rewire the fans, as all the wiring around there is hard/cracked/melted. An interesting easter project
AO Platinum Member
All the resistors do is reduce fan speed.
If you don't mind the slight increase in noise, you can bypass the resistors completely and run the fans at full speed.
They will still be controlled by the relays, but instead of off/low-speed/high-speed, they will just be off/high-speed.
AO Member

Member car:

'99 GTV TS

Hi all,
After reading through a few threads on this subject I'm not 100% clear on what course of action to take. So far I've unplugged the temperature sender on the stat and started the engine which kicked in the 2nd speed of the fan immediately. I'm inferring this means that the resistor is faulty. The wiring looks fine and the connections are not burnt. Can anyone suggest what to try to restore my first fan speed? Should I try to change the thermal fuse?
Thanks in advance.
Temp Un-Registered
County: -

Member car:

Alfa 147

Does anybody know the value of the "thermal fuse"?
Those cost something like ~1, I just need to know which one to buy.

Anybody knows, has a new to check, or a picture where the labeling is seen?

Thermal fuse being the one marked in the attached picture.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 51736774-341-1-800.jpg (66.2 KB, 13 views)
Club Member
Membro Medio
County: Aalborg
I think it is 128 C thermal fuse.

Be careful when you solder it.
You can brake it if you heat it too much.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa GTV & 916 Spider

1st , 2nd , controllers , cooling , fan , phase , question , resistors , speed