At the weekend i could no longer stand to see the uneven gap between my bonnet and bumper, having repeatedly soaked the fixings in WD for several weeks i thought it was time to have a go, i decided to remove the bumper to apply some heat to the adjustment bushes, even after lots of heat and more WD it was plain that they were not going to budge, so i unbolted the whole bracket, held by 4 nuts (they come off easily) and re drilled the bracket, my bumper was 8mm low on the drivers side so i re drilled the holes 8mm lower on the bracket (hence raising it) and re fitted it,dont bother trying to free off the bushes cos u probably never will!,that was tip 1.
Having seen that other forum users had ended up with the bonnet jammed down after attempting to adjust the gap i decided to give myself a chance to get it open from underneath, the drivers side catch can be accessed from below but the passenger side is a nightmare cos the air filter etc is in the way, so i tied some flex to the bent wire part of the catch and routed it past the filter etc, i dropped the bonnet and guess what it jammed!!!, tense moment as i went underneath and pulled on the flex, after several tugs there was a satisfying click as the catch released, so bumper off again to slightly lower the passenger side bumper bracket (and slightly elongate the prong on the bonnet by turning anti clockwise) and all is well, thats tip 2.
photos showing flex, bracket (the nut you can see is one of the 4 that secure the bracket, the other nut is behind the camera) and also the passenger side horn wasn't working so i took it off, look whats hidden behind it, the air intake, well done ALFA!.
Now i have a nice even gap between the bumper and bonnet all the way round, and to say that i am pleased with myself re the flex trick is the understatement of 2010