Advice needed: shot bottom end on GTV - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 5 Old 22-02-10 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: North Yorkshire
Advice needed: shot bottom end on GTV

Hi all

Just need a little advice...

My GTV has a shot big end bearing on cylinder 1. I thought I might get away with a set off shells - but it has gone again straight after.

My options are as follows

Sell the car as a project - is there much appetite for cars that need engine work. How much could I expect to get for it?

Repair the engine, remove crank, regrind and new shells. Is there any way the crank can be removed without removing the engine? Is there enough room to move the gearbox to achieve this?

Scrap the car and sell it bit by bit... How much could I expect to get for various parts...

Any thoughts/ideas would be gratefully received... the car is 98 on an S, twinspark, lovely unmarked tan interior (exterior Proteo Red), teledial wheels. Mileage is 90K.

Car is on stands in the garage with the sump off - time isn't an issue as I have other vehicles.
Sponsored Links
AO Member
County: East Riding of Yorkshire

Member car:

Rover 420 i.s

Me personally, if you like the car,I would be to source a good engine to put in it. Taking the crank out is a nightmare job, and chances are it'll be scrap anyway or cost a fortune to machine.

IMHO any car with engine problems is only worth 200 quid at best.

As for stripping piece by piece you will get more if you've got the time and dont mind sitting on parts
for a while.
Regional Support North
Is there a meet near you?
County: Lancashire
it is a pain in the butt job to take the engine apart and rebuild it. as said above, if you really like the car the best bet is to source a decent secondhand engine. much less hassle and probably works out the same cost-wise, if not cheaper, than repairing your current engine

i rebuilt mine a few years ago after suffering the same problem and with all parts (new shells, 4 new valves, new con rod, head bolts and belt kit) and labour costs (crank regrind, refaced piston head skimming etc) it stood me at 570. some places sell TS engines from written off cars for around 400 - 500

i stripped and refitted the engine myself too so you can imagine how much extra it would have been if i had got someone else to do it!

AO Silver Member
County: West Sussex
You can buy a good engined 146 2litre for a few hundred quid these days and the cars scrap value after you have taken out the engine would cover your collection costs etc.Furthermore you can test the engine and hear it running before you go to the trouble of doing the change.Plenty of people cannot take this option because of numerous factors from space to insurance considerations but if your able to do it the rewards are great.
(Post Link) post #5 of 5 Old 22-02-10 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: North Yorkshire
Good thinking Seymour... I didn't think of buying a runner... I was worried about just buying any old engine and finding it to be well on the way to being useless...

I'll add that to the options... (if only I'd kept my old 155 instead of part ex'ing it for peanuts!)

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa GTV & 916 Spider

advice , bottom , end , gtv , needed , shot