GTV for a 166? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 10 Old 20-02-10 Thread Starter
AO Gold Member
County: Lincolnshire
GTV for a 166?

Ive got a 3.0 V6 alfa 166, and well ive always wanted a GTV. I did buy the 166 so I could whisk the extra passengers, but although I do use em, I still think a GTV is for me. I dont really use the 166 all that much, ive got a pug 106 and a workhorse.

My 166 had adjustable Koni's, will be power-flexed, belt, a very very good FSH, sat nav, GSM.........i dont know if I wanna swap to be honest, it would depend on the day lol.

Would anyone be interested? Its got to be a PH2, belts done, and powerflexed ideally, and as my 166 should not need anywork doing for the next 4 years (Alfa 4 years trouble free......yeh, of course) the GTV would have to be loved and mint, inc the leather. You'll see why if you see my 166. Just a thought at the moment.

As ive been reading am I right in thinking the major issues are;

Front W.bones (lower)
Rear bushes to be power-flexed
Cambelt change and FSH - is that the major issues I should watch out for?
Sponsored Links
AO Gold Member
County: Kent
You'll miss the 166 so much. The GTV is excellent at what it does, I have really fallen for mine and it's a Twinnie so not as fast, but even so, the 166 has the full package. Really you need both!!
AO Member
County: Surrey

Member car:

dont think many of us gtv owners would swap with you friend...even us phase one oldies would be hard pushed to swap.your best bet is to keep yours and buy a gtv.then youve got both cool cars
AO Platinum Member
County: Oxfordshire

I am going to sell my GTV soon as I need more space.

The trouble is I could also do with somthing a bit more economical. The 166 will be just as thirsty as my GTV.

Still interested though, have you any more info a17esh? Photo's etc, and how much would you be asking for it if you were to sell it.
AO Member
County: Tyne and Wear

Member car:

GTV 3.0

Could be interested, I sold my V6 166 over a year ago as the miles were racking up. I have a 99 red V6 GTV aero wth tan leather, she has 48K on the clock and a FSH. I believe one of the owners before me was in the owners club so she could be well known (on an irish plate so its stands out). I only did 1200 miles last year as the child seat does not fit in the back, another 166 would be a good solution. The the GTV does need the belt doing (alfa quote 60K but we all know better) if I keep her I will do that soon, the drivers side window needs slightly adjusting, no big deal just waiting for the weather to get better. The paint on the bumpers, despite plenty of polish has just started to go slightly light, it,s my its my third red Alfa and It happened on all three. Apart from that shes great, just had a service at Alfatech I was going to get the rear bushes done but up on the hoist and with inspection it would be a waste of time at the moment. I have just put 2 new dunlop tyres on the front as the wishbone was worn, replaced that also, and the exhaust cat back has done less than 2k, I also have the all important master key. The Car has a tracker fitted but I never renewed the subscription, with rising insurance this may have been foolish but it can be re-activated.
Still not sure what to do, I was considering putting her up for grabs but I gave her a clay polish and wax then got the "nice car mister" and that changes my mind............hmmmmm let me know what you think and I will forward you some photos, either way we both have great cars so its a win win!!!!!!
Club Member
Membro Premio
Club Member Number: 412
County: East Ayrshire
I went from a 166 to a GTV 3 years ago . I use the GTV as a 2nd car these days, my experience even though i have shelled out a lot of cash on the GTV is far better than the 166. I found that the niggly little things that crop up from time to time on the 166 really soured my pleasure of the car. I liked it and my mrs loved it ,however the depreciation was staggering and paying to get those " little " jobs done outweighed the eventual value of the car . As craigjenny said a straight swap might be difficult to come by , so id keep it and get a GTV to have 2 really cool cars

There is No Spoon!!

XBOX Live Gamertag - berge katse add me
Rombo di Tuono
AO Silver Member

Member car:

GTV V6, ex 166er

Agree with Mitch 166 and GTV TOTALLY different. I've had my GTV for less than a week. Its growing on me but the 166 has the creature comforts - better/heated/electric seats, better climate contol, quieter, better put together and better build/engineering quality, much much smoother ride.
GTV crashes around especially on Leeds potholes, but holds like a go kart and goes like stink.....
Keep both. I would but have no room on drive and wife won't let me.
AO Member
County: Monmouthshire

Member car:

GTV V6 Lusso

Originally Posted by petrolpump View Post
I have a 99 red V6 GTV aero wth tan leather, she has 48K on the clock and a FSH. ...... The the GTV does need the belt doing (alfa quote 60K but we all know better) if I keep her I will do that soon
Reading between the lines (I may be way wrong) but are you saying your car is on original belts?
AO Member
County: Tyne and Wear

Member car:

GTV 3.0

She has lots of history with reciepts, all alfa or alfa specalists however I do not have reciept for the belt, looking at the belt and from previous experience with the V6 i would say no its not the original but without the bit of paper I can not be sure. The history is with SGT up to 36K , I suspect that they would have done the belt.
Either way I need to get it done just for peace of mind, once thats done its tickety Boo.
I was going to do the Belt but I dont have the room to take out the engine, my 166 and 164 was a different matter loads of room around the belt, well sort of! I
AO Member
County: Dorset

Member car:

I went from a 166 TS to a GTV TS last year and haven't looked back. The 166 was a great car but the GTV feels a lot sportier and more raw. Feels more like a proper drivers machine. But then maybe that's the drop in comfort

I'm now after a V6 GTV!

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa GTV & 916 Spider

166 , gtv