Goodbye Alfa... - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 6 Old 19-02-10 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member
County: Greater London

Member car:

Goodbye Alfa...

Well, all good things come to an end apparently, and after 5 and a half years I bid my 3.0 V6 GTV a final farewell last Saturday morning.

Itís been an awesome car for me, though in the first couple of years I had a bit of a love/hate relationship with it. Back then and to this day I never liked that over-firm suspension that crashed over any road imperfections, and it also took a while to get used to that light steering and throttle. The servicing bills were a bit surprising too: over 100% more than I was used to Ė and that was from coming from another performance car (2.9 VR6 Corrado).

Somewhere down the line the penny started to drop for me though. I eventually realised that if you want a really good looking car, one that's relatively rare and goes so well, it comes at a cost: accept it or sell it. I decided to accept it and enjoyed my car more and more the longer I had it.

Forget the scare stories out there with Alfas, I can say in 5.5 years and 25k miles the Alfa has been rock solid, it never missed a beat for me and never let me down. And maybe thereís some truth to Alfas having soul, to an Alfa making some sort of emotional connection... I also have to admit to missing it a little now itís gone (when I think of that car I think of 'me') and I feel slightly odd when I realise I don't have it anymore!

Ultimately though I just fancied a new toy, so it's gone to a fellow forum user, teaforvicar. Thankfully I think he possesses some OCD like myself and so I think he'll be keeping the car in the manner to which it is accustomed! Best of luck with it buddy

So this is a kind of farewell to everyone but Iíd like to say best of luck to everyone with their GTVs, especially those that I've 'digitallyí known for years from the gtvv6/sportsalfa days like SimonT, fants, Alexb, earthman etc. And if anyone is thinking of getting a V6 GTV: find yourself a good one and you won't regret it. Itís still one of the best-looking cars on the road and is incredible value for money I think.

Iíll also mention Alfa Aid in Maidenhead who serviced the car for me. They're not exactly local for me but they're well worth the 100 mile round trip as they know their Alfas and got it right first time for me every time: I can't recommend them enough.

Anyway Iíll take this last opportunity to show off the car one last time (I couldn't resist ):

And hereís a couple of the new toy below too...

It's very different from the Alfa: it's a one-owner 55 plate M3 convertible in silver grey, stacked with a crazy amount of toys (including TV) and that trick SMG gearbox which is pretty cool... Oh, and it has quite an engine too with a crazy 343bhp from its 3.2 straight six... Fingers crossed it behaves and I enjoy it if not as much then nearly as much as my Alfa
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1456396-1b.jpg (72.4 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg 1456396-2b.jpg (76.0 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg 1456396-3.jpg (131.1 KB, 18 views)

Ex '99 6-speed 3.0 V6 GTV, now Z4MC
Sponsored Links
AO Platinum Member
County: herts
Good parting tribute to a smart looking machine. Happy Flying with 'Luftbeema' airways.
AO Member
County: Oxfordshire
Good luck with the Beemer and let us know how it goes as it is on my list as well.
AO Member
County: Surrey

Member car:

The car is in very safe hands and it was nice meeting someone who has the same OCD issues about car ownership as me; checking all panels for dents when returning to the vehicle, never ever parking it in a supermarket car park, having about 20 bottles of various potions and lotions for cleaning, not letting the other half drive it, not doing short journeys because the oil would not get properly warmed, making my 4 year old son take his shoes of in the back so he does not scuff the leather and so on. These are all traits that I have when owning any car with soul and I have owned a few over the years.

I sold a Subaru to a work colleague at the end of 2008 and I saw the car 6 months ago with all the alloys scuffed (18 Inch Rota Lightweights), the back bumper cracked from reversing into something and it was absolutely filthy. I was quite saddened by this despite the car not being mine anymore. I had loved and looked after that car it was perfect when I sold it. Some people say you must be missing something in your life to be so anal about a car but the point is quite the opposite, you care for something because a) you worked hard to get the money to buy it and b) the car has soul and deserves to be looked after.

My wife knows I have car issues and so do my friends (hence the fact that they are always wanting to buy cars that I own) In other words the car will be cherished and looked after, that Ragazzon centre pipe will be going on soon hell it might make that Alfa louder than my Harley (although I somehow doubt anything is as loud as that).

Good luck with the M3, I am sure that you may return to the Alfa fold in the future.
AO Member
County: New South Wales

Member car:

2001 GTV 3.0 V6

awesome post, great to hear the good stories and people leaving gtv's on a good note ..

if only my car had been previously owned by ppl like us<>!

good luck with the m3 Markos,

and teaforvicar, hope to see your gtv around the forums>
(Post Link) post #6 of 6 Old 20-02-10 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member
County: Greater London

Member car:

Thanks all

teaforvicar: some nice OCD traits there that I share too

I reckon that straight centre section will possibly be too much: search for exhaust posts by The Big Dog and Gold; they ended up fabricating a small silencer on the centre pipe as unsilenced was too much. But I'd like to see/hear videos of before and after anyway!

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa GTV & 916 Spider

alfa , goodbye