understeer - Page 2 - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #26 of 32 Old 14-01-10 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Surrey

Member car:

hahahaha.thanks for the tip...
Sponsored Links
AO Silver Member
County: Derbyshire

Member car:

Originally Posted by Alfa-Red View Post
aye, on/off/on/off all the time upsets the ballance
Just browsing through when i noticed the word at the beginning of AR's post....Alfa Red are you Jackie Stewart?
AO Gold Member
County: Lancashire
Originally Posted by msgtv View Post
Just browsing through when i noticed the word at the beginning of AR's post....Alfa Red are you Jackie Stewart?
i wish
AO Member
County: Dorset

Member car:

Just out of interest what was your last car? My TS is the best handling car I've driven but it still has its limits. It can go round a sharp bend scarily quickly for a FWD and will have a good go at a lot of rear wheelers but 100mph on a sliproad is pushing it (unless you'e coming off the M3 onto the M27!).
County: East Sussex

Member car:

Craigjenny, I assume that yours is a 2.0TS assuming the pic is of yours. If it is understeering on motorway slip roads, I'd be inclined to check your tyre pressures as the GTV 2.0 is usually pretty tight in corners and should handle slip roads no bother! Wouldn't be the slips toward the bottom of the M25, Reigate area, would it? Difficult not to put your foot down there in my experience! lol
AO Member
County: Hessen
Also consider weight transfer when braking for corners, if you apply just the right amount of braking then you transfer the weight onto the front wheels which will push the tires into the ground more. Then when you release the brakes the car will be more neutral allowing you to feather the throttle to control the balance of the car into the apex, then when you can see the exit of the corner in the distance you can start to apply more throttle and come out of the corner faster. If you go in too fast and try to brake hard then you will upset the delicate balance and probably understeer as the front tires scrub across the tarmac instead of biting. Anyway, all this is more usefull on a track rather on our badly built public roads with the uneven surfaces, pot-holes, grime. Plus, you car needs to be setup well with all the suspension components and tires/tracking in good condition. until these have all been checked out and you have learnt the delicate balance of your car a bit more then i would suggest scrubbing off a bit more speed before cornering otherwise its brownsville time!
AO Platinum Member
Originally Posted by craigjenny View Post
now this is a reply i am learning to understand,,i think i am going in to fast and braking to late..thanks for the tip maybe the barriers wont come at me so fast in the future

words fail me

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa GTV & 916 Spider