airbag went bang!!! - Page 2 - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
AO Gold Member
County: -
Originally Posted by earthman View Post
Most of the cars I've owned have not had airbags, I guess that they do save lives etc but I'm not really a fan of them, just goes to show that sometimes they don't work anyway.

I have seen a programme about how they make/test them etc but it does make you wonder how well one would work once they are 10 years old or more. OK, you are suppose to take them back to a dealer after X amount of years to get new parts fitted but really, is the new owner going to do that when the car's been bought for little money and it's classed as an old banger.
After 10 years you have to wonder if the "fixing' would cost more than the car was worth especially when you have 6+ airbags
Sponsored Links
AO Member
County: Northamptonshire
I did some work for Autoliv who make SRS systems; they did piles of environmental tests on varying airbag units and most faults that occur are electrical and part of the overall car system. The pyrotechnics and sealed unit stuff are amazingly robust and if I recall rightly they were expecting minimums of 25 year lifespans from their stuff - and that was pessimistic. I know Volvo have extended service check intervals on airbag units from 10 to 15 to 20 years so I guess they are finding in practice that the manufacturers' figures are pretty reliable.
AO Member
Originally Posted by Stori View Post
After 10 years you have to wonder if the "fixing' would cost more than the car was worth especially when you have 6+ airbags
Yes, totally agree and no doubt the typical person like myself who's only got enough money to buy an 'old banger' in the first place sure ain't going to spend money at the main dealers for such items/servicing period.
AO Member
Originally Posted by gordoncoll View Post
when the belt went off the pretension squashed my daughter in the seat !!!!
umm ... was she kicking the Airbag holder ....?
(Post Link) post #30 of 30 Old 11-01-10 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Dorset
Originally Posted by jus View Post
umm ... was she kicking the Airbag holder ....?
yea gods no,she knows me and my cars better than that !!!!!

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa GTV & 916 Spider

airbag , bang