I've just bought myself a GTV. Dark blue, V Reg, 2 litre twinspark with a nice long MOT. Think I got a bit of a bargain because of the high miles (134,000
), which did make me a bit cautious. However, I managed to get a nice long test drive, and the engine sounds as sweet as a nut (as good as my previous 147TS with 100k less on the clock), and it felt really tight on the road (coming from a Brera S). Nearly 100 miles after getting it, nothings surfaced yet, so I think I've got a nice bargain. It needs a bit of tidying (polish, alloys, faded badges, ect), new front tyres and probably a battery. It will get a new cambelt in the New Year, as I'm not too sure when it was last done and the variator sounds like it is starting to go, with the JTD noise briefly at start up. Apart from the wear and tear stuff, it seems like it's been well looked after. Most things seem to work as they should, with just the following little niggles, which seem common to many GTV's. If anyone has any suggestions for fixes, they'd be gratefully received:
1) Windows don't drop down when you open the door (it's a 1999, low spec model, so not sure if they should or not as I don't think the earlier ones did?) If they should, does anyone know a fix?
2) Thermostat seems to be jammed open (50-60 degrees cruising, but 90 degrees in traffic). Seems like it's a DIY fix from other threads, and worth doing?
3) Airbag light (again and easy fix with the connector under the seat, then garage reset of the ECU?).
4) The alarm fob casing has disintergrated. Can you get new casings anywhere, and transfer the internals?
5) Is an oil/filter/plug change easy enough for a DIY'er (I used to do this on old fiestas, ect, but have given up since having cars under warranty)?
6) Doors and locks freeze solid every morning (although, given the weather...)
It's a great drive so far, despite the snow and many people thinking I am insane buying a cheap GTV
, and this bit of the forum is great for learning about it. I hope to keep it on the road for as long as I can. I wonder if Alfa will give you a new car if you manage to hit 500,000miles......