1997 GTV, high miles, this that and the other... - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 7 Old 20-12-09 Thread Starter
County: Tyne and Wear

Member car:

GTV 2.0 TS 16v

1997 GTV, high miles, this that and the other...

Hello everyone,

I'm new, so how do you do? I'm probably supposed to introduce myself elsewhere but may as well do it here. So hi!

Now then, about my car...

Bought my GTV in September and shortly afterwards had the whole timing belt business done (both belts), water pump, and a service.

Garage that looked at the car said the radiator could do with being replace. I didn't bother at the time however it has since been holed. I did have to use Radfix to stay on the road, however I do have a replacement radiator winging it's way to me to slap in there.

I've done a few thousand miles since buying the car and have had no problems thus far other than the radiator.

The crux of the matter is, she ain't getting any younger and the current mileage is....a few weeks away from getting to 147,000.

I'm used to driving high mileage cars and some extremely dodgy cars at that (did 4500 miles in a 15 year old Peugeot 405 in two weeks across Europe this summer, including some torturous few-hour long uphill drives in 42degrees in Italy. Blew the head on it while in Poland and still made it all the way back to Blighty with nothing more complicated than egg whites poured into the radiator and stopping every hour to refill the radiator!).

Anyway, point I am making is I'm not one of these people who are terrified by driving old high mileage cars as long as they have been and continue to be looked after well. The GTV seems to have been well maintained through it's life so far and I will continue that.

The question is, how far can it go?

I'm aware the timing belt should be done every 30,000 miles and I will change it again if the car makes it that far. I have got a bit of car knowledge (hey, I knew the egg white trick!) but I'm no mechanic. I keep hearing about engine rebuilds but I'm not sure when you'd press the car into having this done and what the benefits are.

Perhaps I am a fool but surely I'd get to the next timing belt change without requiring a rebuild? The engine certainly appears to be faultless at the moment, sounds sweet and kicks *** when I want it to.

When should I be looking at getting a rebuild done and once done how far could I expect it to keep the car going? Obviously there'd be the usual stuff to replace as and when, but I assume in theory you can sort of 'reset' your mileage to a certain extent? Yep it's never going to be a new engine but I guess it'll give you X amount of miles?

I absolutely love this car and because I don't intend buying a brand new car anytime soon I am more than happy every few years to chuck a couple of grand at the GTV in the way of work, as you lose that in depreciation on a new car anyway.

I'd much appreciate any thoughts on this and any other thoughts and advice GTV owners with as many miles as mine can offer to me in general regarding the car.

Sponsored Links
Club Member
Membro Premio
Club Member Number: 535
County: Kildare

Member car:

'96 GTV TS

welcome to the forum Random

You might find a few answers in this thread http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/alfa-...park-here.html
With the maintenance budget and schedule you are proposing, the GTV could go on for a long, long time yet. Most people come to an end because they resent the effort and money they are having to spend on an old, low value car. There is little to gain by having the engine rebuilt before it needs to be except, as a preventative measure, you may wish to replace the shell bearings early to protect your crank. Apart from that I'd just keep up with oil and cambelt changes and see what happens with the engine. I'm not a powerflex fan, but if you get the rear bushes done that is the last time you will need to do it and you will not have to worry about your subframe being eaten. It is the cheapest option as well. Other cheap, good ideas are to change the gearbox oil, the coolant and the brake fluid. Get underneath and waxoil or similar the floorpan where it joins the sills and anywhere else that looks a bit rough. With all this done I would just run it on a fix it when it breaks basis and I'm sure it will go on for as long as you want it to. Best of luck with it.
200k easy for a Phase 1 engine
AO Silver Member
County: Derbyshire

Member car:

Seems like sensible stuff to me, go to 35k on the cambelt (live on the edge), green too!, producing a new car costs the earth....literally), on the other hand that greenhouse business make things warmer...whats bad about that?.
AO Member
County: Herefordshire

Member car:

Alfa GTV

you may wish to replace the shell bearings early to protect your crank!

Well worth doing if you can do the job yourself
(Post Link) post #7 of 7 Old 21-12-09 Thread Starter
County: Tyne and Wear

Member car:

GTV 2.0 TS 16v

Cheers for the info guys.

Sounds like I don't have much to worry about as long as I keep on top of things.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa GTV & 916 Spider

1997 , gtv , high , miles