Not overheating but living in fear! - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 3 Old 13-12-09 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Cheshire

Member car:

Alfa Romeo GTV

Not overheating but living in fear!

Finally overcame the 'won't idle nightmare' by cleaning everything and reinstalling - ticking over at 600 revs now! However, after I'd fixed this I noticed that my water temperature is getting pretty high in traffic - it usually runs bang in the middle 95 I think but I'm getting 100 ++ and giving myself a near coronary and shouting at the bloody traffic jams around Manchester Airport!
I an figuring that the fans are not coming on - there is no sound from them at high temp. So the question is, are these fans connected to anything else other than some sort of otter switch. If the bloke who designed the electrics for the Alfa (he obviously works in a very poorly lit room) is true to form, the Petrol Flap Opening thingy is probably at fault!

Now I've just read a thread about resistors and am thoroughly baffled. How do I test this load of old rubbish - I am going to try and make it overheat whilst stationary - this should really annoy the neighbours as I have full Raggazoni stainless and sets off the alarm on his bloody shed of a Vauxhall Astra!
So any advice from you guys is as always, appreciated!
By the way - I am assuming that I don't have one of these 'throttle potentiometer' things that, judging by the threads I have read are hand carved by German Supermodels out of solid platinum!
Oh its a 96 2.0TS GTV in fabulous condition!
Cheers and I'm sure you are all looking forward to the Chritmas break which we can all spend fixing our fab motors!
Sponsored Links
AO Gold Member
County: Kent
The fan motor is fed via the 2 level thermal switch, this energises the engine cooling fan relays, 1st speed and 2nd speed, 1st speed goes through the fan resister, 2nd speed goes straight to the fan motor. There is a fuse for the fan motor itself so that is worth checking.
AO Member
County: Bedfordshire
In a Phase 2, the ECU runs the fans and senses the water temp from a sensor in the thermostat. There's a connector on the stat that sends the signal to the ECU.

If you pull this connector off while the engine's running, the ECU should think the temp has just gone sky high. It should kick in low speed fan immediately and the second speed after a second or two. A typical failure mode is that you only get the second speed ... this happens if the resistor (that's used for the low speed) has failed.

Not sure how you do this for a Phase 1 though ... that uses a temperature sensor sited just above the bottom hose, and I don't think the ECU has anything to do with it ...

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa GTV & 916 Spider

fear , living , overheating