Falling in love again! - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 2 Old 12-12-09 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Devon

Member car:

GTV 3.0 V6 24v

Falling in love again!

I've gone all gooey today as my Spider lives on! Starter motor has been giving me some serious gip for months and after replacing it twice it still didn't go. Thankfully the local non-alfa garage found a gremlin in a junction box located around the nearside inner wing, cleaned it up and now it starts like a new'en!

Just had a blast up to North Devon and now I'm a happy bunny once again!

Anyhow, if anyone is thinking of replacing their starter motor I can say that I have managed it (twice!) and I am a numpty when it comes to these things, hence it's not that bad a job to do:

You need a small socket set to get at the bolts on the starter body and the terminals, plus a TX40 torx bit to remove the throttle body. Also disconnect the battery before you start.

1: Detach the air intake hose at both ends to move out of the way. When you do this be careful not to pull the breather hose off the cylinder head - no point in making more work for yourself. You may also need to detach the coolant hose that leads to the expansion tank to make more space, make sure you shove a stopper in the end of it so as not to lose your coolant all over your driveway/feet/trousers.

2: There are 4 TX40 bolts holding the throttle body in place, remove these and move it to one side, might have to unplug the connectors on top. The motor is between the block and the bulkhead so this will make room to get your hands in.

3: There are 2 electrical studs on the back of the motor, the positive is, I believe 13mm and negative 10mm. Remove these.

4: Using a 13mm socket on a small ratchet undo the 3 bolts holding the starter motor in place. The earth strap is connected to the top frontmost bolt. The trickiest bolt is right underneath everything, it's a struggle to get to and has to be done by touch, but as I say, even a numpty can do it!

5: Pull out the old motor, have a cup of something hot to warm your bleeding hands, literally, no swearing intended.

6: Feed the new one in through the gap and attach the bolts, replace them all loosely so you can get them all in and then do them up tight. Don't forget the earth strap on the frontmost bolt and the bracket that supports the hoses on the rear one.

7: When replacing the +ve terminal, there is an odd plastic arrangement but put simply there are 2 cables - one with a straight ring terminal and one at an angle. I only realised this after I had dismantled mine and wondered how the hell it was supposed to go back together without actually being able to see it! Just attach the straight ring over the stud, then feed the angled one into the plastic part then thread the whole thing over the stud and get the bolt and washer on before it all pings off into the dirt. Negative terminal is straightforward enough to re-attach. Difficult to put into words and even more difficult to photograph but it should all become clear.

The rest is a reversal of the above, and if I have missed anything please feel free to edit or add to this.

It's always nice when we can fix our own cars so as to avoid them falling pray to the scrappage scheme! Hope this helps someone somewhere but if anyone needs any help pm me and I will if I can.

Sponsored Links
AO Member
County: Hampshire
Glad you found the love again, it's a great feeling isn't it

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa GTV & 916 Spider

falling , love