Strange clutch goings on - advice please! - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 3 Old 07-12-09 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Tyne and Wear
Strange clutch goings on - advice please!

My girlfriend's recently picked up a '98 twin spark GTV and all has been well... until Saturday. It's run beautifully for 400-odd miles and showed no signs of gremlins or weak-spots mechanically, but the other day after a journey of about 15 miles the clutch seemed to pack up. The pedal feels as it should, the biting point's as it should be, it doesn't slip - but when it was playing silly b*ggers there was no drive; like the clutch was badly worn and slipping. There was also apparently a smell like hot oil.

Later on it drove onto the back of the RAC van without problem and, having just taken it for a 10-mile drive, it now works as it should. There's no sign of fluid loss, the gearbox is fine and I'm just wondering what the hell it could have been!

Any help with diagnosis?

Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
AO Member
County: Kent

Member car:

Phase II GTV 2.0

Sounds like the clutch - similar thing happened on mine. it seemed to be intermittant and used to happen when speeding up quickly e.g. coming off a roundabout or turning onto a new road. I remember the smell well! It'll probably come back when you least expect it so I'd suggest at least having it diagnosed but you'll probably need to replace the clutch.
AO Platinum Member
County: Hertfordshire
the burning oil smell sounds like it could be the crank seal behind the clutch leaking causing oil to get on the clutch plate, if you're going to replace the clutch have the oil seal checked at the same time, just in case, saves you having to do it all again.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa GTV & 916 Spider

advice , clutch , goings , strange