dual mass flywheel - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
dual mass flywheel

Can I pick your brains? My clutch is fine, but at 75K on the original I am thinking about the future. I never like spending money unnecessarily. I have changed RWD clutches before but never a FWD. Besides, I am recovering from a shoulder operation and will be out of action for up to 6 months, so labour bills need to be factored in. I normally change cars every year, but have had this one for a while and am tempted to keep it for several years yet.

I know that when the clutch needs changing the dmf may also need changing. I know that a solid flywheel is the cheapest option. I do a fair bit of town driving and only rarely use full revs - I love the lazy v6 torque. I'm after the best option for me.

1. What are the symptoms of a failing dmf? Can you tell without pulling the gearbox out?
2. From the description of how I drive, would I be happier with a dmf?
3. If my gearbox was out and the tech said the dmf had had it, would it ever make sense to put a second hand dmf in?
4. While the gearbox is out, can the diff be inspected to see if it is likely to fail - will there be any visible warning signs?

Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
AO Platinum Member
County: Oxfordshire
If I was taking the gearbox off my car I would ditch the DMF as a matter of course.

IMO it offers lots of un-nessesary complexity for little benefit.

It is meant to smooth the take up of drive when changing gear or pulling off, but from what I can tell mine makes little difference.

Aparrently When it fails it will give sharp/rough take up of drive, clonks and sometimes a uneven tickover as if the engine is unbalanced.

For some reason the garage that fitted my clutch before I bought the car decided to leave the DMF in place as it was "Ok" despite my car having done 105k at the time.

You will never be cool driving a Vauxhall.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa GTV & 916 Spider

dual , flywheel , mass