Time for priorities... - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 6 Old 02-11-09 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Oxfordshire

Member car:

MiTo Cloverleaf

Time for priorities...

Ok - so my beloved Black 'N' reg GTV has started to cost me lots of money this year (Clutch + suspension work + Starter motor all in May this year = 1500ish). Now I have her booked in for a service and wanted some guidance on what I should get done first, Ideally I would not cut any corners but the cashflow is severely limited due to the work carried out in May.

Basically My spark plugs are due (actually done 62,000 miles since last changed - replaced in May 05) and also I am about 1000 miles off of 36,000 miles on my cambelt... (replaced in May 07). Ideally I want to get the plugs done and perhaps wait until I have done say 40,000 on the cam belt so it would be March/April next year, thereby staggering some hefty bills. I have read that the belts used to be rated at 60,000 miles but some broke - but in any case replace after 3 years - so what are peoples thoughts on going past the 36,000 miles?

My cars overall mileage is 126,000 and I have had her since June 2004 when she was on about 50,000.
I have had lots of work done on suspension etc and have had 2 cam belt changes + variator in that time.

Additionally my GTV has a creaking noise which has developed recently when I pull away from a standstill - any thoughts on what that could be - seems to be the front - but I have had a recent lower wishbone with balljoint - drivers side, I am thinking maybe driveshaft? Or possibly engine mounts? I am hoping something not too expensive! Any thoughts out there?

Any advice much appreciated.
Sponsored Links
AO Member
County: Wellington

Member car:

GTV 1996

Get a lower milage one...?
AO Member
County: -

Member car:

GTV, 145, 147

Do the belts and plugs at hte same time. Mine had its first cambelt change at 120 000 km and the noxt one was done by me at 190 000 km along wit lots of other stuff...
so what are peoples thoughts on going past the 36,000 miles?
No problem.
I am thinking maybe driveshaft?
Probably not the driveshaft, but you would have to be more specific. Sometimes the sounds from the rear are transported to the front... Inspect your rear bushes, there should be no play at all. Another thing that can make sounds is the front anti roll bar links - check for cracks in the bushes (it's not a costly thing to replace)
Or possibly engine mounts?
Engine mounts would make a stuterring noise - clonk, clonk, clonk and it would come from the engine bay. You can check the mount if it's fixed or has some play. It would make sounds everytime you step on the gas standing still.
AO Gold Member
Plugs seemingly last forever, so I shouldn't worry too much about them. As for the belt.....Smaky got well over 100K out of his, others have had failures at 30 - 40K.....you pays your money, or not, and takes your choice (or chance), I'm afraid......
(Post Link) post #5 of 6 Old 04-11-09 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Oxfordshire

Member car:

MiTo Cloverleaf

Many thanks for the thoughts everyone - much appreciated. A lower mileage one would be nice - but I love mine and I don't have the money for a newer one + I know every bit that I have had replaced so have a certain level of confidence in my 96 vintage GTV...
AO Member
I would leave the plugs for now and certainly attend to that cambelt. You have invested a lot of money into the car and would be heartbroken ( and wallet broken ) if the engine lunched itself. No point in changing the car for a newer one as people generally shy away from higher mileage cars, so you would lose out if you got rid. Mine is on 135 000 ( almost ) and I plan on keeping her till she drops dead. But so far, she runs perfectly and fulfills all of my needs.

Maybe think about doing it very early next year, after the Christmas bills have been paid - Jamie Porter comes highly recommend by all and wouldn't be too far for you. He is very reasonably priced for cambelt changes too.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa GTV & 916 Spider

priorities , time