today's eyeopener - coolant - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 1 Old 02-11-09 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

GTV V6 Turbo

today's eyeopener - coolant

Hi Everyone

Had a heart stopping moment today...

I generally have a feeling for how warm my car should be at any point on my journey into work - this morning although it was cooler outside it just wasn't blowing warm air at me where it normally is. Suddenly the temperature gauge rocketed up to about ~105. I turned off and stopped the car - no coolant in the header tank. I wandered back along the road and stopped at a shop and bought some water - 4 litres to take it up to minimum.

I'd had the car in last week to check for coolant loss, so it took me a while to simmer down enough to not have a rant over the phone. RAC came out and towed me in, water was pouring out and initial observation looked like a hose that's just underneath the distributor. Further investigation by the garage is pointing to something around the thermostat housing leaking down.

I'm pleased that I'm paranoid about temperature so always watch the gauge like a hawk, also glad I wasn't in traffic when it went ballastic.

Anyone fancy to hazard a guess as to what's gone?

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa GTV & 916 Spider

coolant , eyeopener , today