Gtv Spider Engine share info please ! - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
 
Thread Tools
(Post Link) post #1 of 16 Old 20-10-09 Thread Starter
Status: -
AO Member
 
sudti's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: United Kingdom
Posts: 82
Help Gtv Spider Engine share info please !

Hi ALL

Hope someone can help

The engine on my wifes 1999 Gtv spider has died and was wondering if it is shared with any other alfa or is it unique?

May try to buy a doner car and fit a new engine with my son if possible.

Thanks in advance

Roger Griffiths
sudti is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Status: it's gonna have to go........I always say this!
AO Member
 
SCCGTV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: United Kingdom
Posts: 103
Images: 8

Member car:

GTV 2.0 Lusso

The 156 engine is the same around this year though the MAF and a couple of other things could be different. If you're handy with cars give it a go, though most places will do it for you now 1250 all in, Sherburn in Leeds, Auto Lusso (not sure of the location) I've had good expereinces with both these companies. Think Auto Italia will also do this around the 1,250 mark.
SCCGTV is offline  
jay w
Status: - Update
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
The Engine in the GTV is the same as would be found in the:

156
147
146
166

there were a couple of different engines '99 could be either a CF2 or a CF3 i believe, someone else will no doubt confirm
 
Status: -
AO Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: United Kingdom
Posts: 333

Member car:

spider-cessna172

Ive just fitted a 1998 low miles 146 twinspark engine in an 02 ,147 twinspark.The block is the same the heads vary and the manifolds and switches and wiring need to be changed,i have done this around a dozen times now but you have to be clued up to the differences or problems occur.Im no expert although im in the motor trade and i love Alfas, i can asure you i learn something new about working on alfas every week.
cessna-kevin is offline  
Status: -
AO Member
 
the alligator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: United Kingdom
Posts: 212

Member car:

Alfa GTV

Where about are you as I know to an engine at a very good price,
the alligator is offline  
Darren156
Status: - Update
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
The CF2 engine has an alloy rocker cover whereas the CF3 engine has a plastic rocker cover. Now, I'm not sure if any 156 ever came with a alloy rocker cover CF2 engine as they were made from 1998+, and I think the CF2 engine was only in production up until the end of the 155 / 145 / 146 and a few early GTV's.

Now I'm not sure if you can swap a CF2 unit over with a 156 CF3 unit, does anybody know the answer to this???
 
Status: AROC 916 Registrar
AO Gold Member
 
Mitch916's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: United Kingdom
Posts: 8,428
Images: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren156 View Post
The CF2 engine has an alloy rocker cover whereas the CF3 engine has a plastic rocker cover. Now, I'm not sure if any 156 ever came with a alloy rocker cover CF2 engine as they were made from 1998+, and I think the CF2 engine was only in production up until the end of the 155 / 145 / 146 and a few early GTV's.

Now I'm not sure if you can swap a CF2 unit over with a 156 CF3 unit, does anybody know the answer to this???
Thats not right Daz is it? CF1 has the alloy cover, CF2 & CF3's plastic.

Edit: Yep, thought so

http://www.alfaworkshop.co.uk/alfa_romeo_cf.shtml
Mitch916 is offline  
Darren156
Status: - Update
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Mitch, does that mean then that ALL CF2 and 3 engines are compatible? And if so does it also stand true with the CF1 alloy rocker cover engines? Can you shove a plastic CF2/3 rocker cover engine into a CF1 body with relative ease?
 
Bert Cheese
Status: - Update
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
CF2 & CF3 have differing wiring arrangements for the twin sparking system, CF2 uses the same arrangement as CF1 whereas CF3 has both leads from each coil going into one cylinder...........I think thats right anyway!

You can easily fit the later plastic rocker cover to a CF1 engine, but need to rig an earth wire from the coil plate to the block, and make a couple of alterations to the crank breather pipes.
 
(Post Link) post #10 of 16 Old 23-10-09 Thread Starter
Status: -
AO Member
 
sudti's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: United Kingdom
Posts: 82
Thanks fo r all the replies will be useful for sure
sudti is offline  
Status: -
AO Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: United Kingdom
Posts: 333

Member car:

spider-cessna172

hi bert cheese, im keen for knowledge, so what alterations need to be made to the crank breather pipes in order to fit a plastic top to an early engine as ive always simply fitted them.I may be missing something out in the change over.
cessna-kevin is offline  
Status: -
AO Platinum Member
 
David C's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: London, England
Posts: 27,378
All this assumes you have a 16v TS engine. You haven't actually said which engine you have...!
David C is online now  
Status: -
AO Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: United Kingdom
Posts: 84

Member car:

99GTV2LT T.S

mate,i had the same problem.i dont know why my engine died,i bloody well slept with it!jokin,many oil changes etc.got a recon from autolusso recently and will ask them why mine died before ,when i speak to the fella who rebuilds em.was it well serviced?oil,etc?

Last edited by boston; 24-10-09 at 21:45.
boston is offline  
Status: Banned for not following the site rules
Unregistered
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: United Kingdom
Posts: 9,721
Images: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren156 View Post
Mitch, does that mean then that ALL CF2 and 3 engines are compatible? And if so does it also stand true with the CF1 alloy rocker cover engines? Can you shove a plastic CF2/3 rocker cover engine into a CF1 body with relative ease?
Yes, from the rocker cover down they are the same engine. It all changes again when the electronics, EGR and exhaust are brought in, but the block and head from any 2.0TS can be transplanted into any other 2.0TS, just use the original ancilleries.
Smaky is offline  
Status: Banned for not following the site rules
Unregistered
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: United Kingdom
Posts: 9,721
Images: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bert Cheese View Post
CF2 & CF3 have differing wiring arrangements for the twin sparking system, CF2 uses the same arrangement as CF1 whereas CF3 has both leads from each coil going into one cylinder...........I think thats right anyway!

You can easily fit the later plastic rocker cover to a CF1 engine, but need to rig an earth wire from the coil plate to the block, and make a couple of alterations to the crank breather pipes.
CF1 and some CF2 have cross cylinder HT connections, then some CF2 and all CF3 engines have one coil per 2 plugs in the same cylinder. The trick is that the coil packs with rounded sockets on are for the early engines and the packs with the squared sockets are for the latter.

The CF bit relates to the emmision regulations as the were brought in in 3 stages, the different CF2 variants was down to the ECUs used, I.E a CF2 in a 146 will have a 1.5.5 ECU whereas in a 156 it will be a 7.3.1 ECU, same engine different HT setup and mildly different timing on the ignition.
Smaky is offline  
Status: -
AO Platinum Member
 
David C's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: London, England
Posts: 27,378
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smaky View Post
...I.E a CF2 in a 146 will have a 1.5.5 ECU whereas in a 156 it will be a 7.3.1 ECU, same engine different HT setup and mildly different timing on the ignition.
I know this won't get a good reaction, but that is wrong.
CF2 156 TS (manual box) have M1.5.5 (Basic cable throttle), CF3 156 TS have ME7.3.1 (fly-by-wire throttle).
David C is online now  
Reply

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa GTV & 916 Spider

Tags
engine , gtv , info , share , spider

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome