My GTV lives! - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 10 Old 14-10-09 Thread Starter
AO Gold Member
County: Kent
My GTV lives!

Some of you may be aware I have been rebuilding the engine of a cam belt failure GTV Twinnie over the summer. I would just like to announce that the engine is finished!!! Started her up this morning. Full details here.
Sponsored Links

off for a read
AO Gold Member
County: Perth and Kinross
Nice one
AO Gold Member
County: Brokopondo
Happy Days! Mitch.
AO Member
County: Gloucestershire

Member car:

GTV V6 & C220CDI

Well done Mitch, she looks and sounds the business.

Many thanks for the full and detailed posts, this has been a really interesting thread.
AO Member
County: Greater London

Member car:

GTV Cup 99

fantastic to see someone take a broken car and with a lot of effort and ethusiam get it ship shape... really interesting read thanks. beutiful GTV you have their and you know the car inside and out now, every nut and bolt.
AO Member
Well done Mitch how did you find the fitting and tensioning of the balance belt tensioner, I read in the ts forum that you had found bits of plastic inside the timing casing, same as me then broken original plastic timing belt adjuster pulley. It is amazing that there are still cars out there with these plastic pulley's. I would just recommend to everyone that has a twin spark and does not know if or when the belts were changed to pop the aux belt off take the top cambelt cover off and look to see if they havs a shiney silver adjuster of a brown/black plastic one and if it is the latter get it changed pretty damn quick!!! 20 min job could save your engine !!
AO Member
County: Suffolk

Member car:

"99" gtv 2.0L TS

Awesome thread Mitch, really good reading.

I'm a newbie, and have just purchased my first gtv 2.0l TS, "V" plate. She has 90K on the clock. I think its time for a cam belt change. Apart from the belt, what else do i need (Variator etc)

Sorry to hijack the thread
(Post Link) post #9 of 10 Old 15-10-09 Thread Starter
AO Gold Member
Cam belt kit consists of cam belt, idler roller and tensioner. Balance belt kit is belt and tensioner. Variator is a good idea if you don't know the history although at £100 they are not cheap! If changing the variator then change the cam shaft oil seals as well and of course always replace the camshaft cover gasket to stop oil leaks.You can get everything from here although I find ebay cheapest for cam / balance belt kits.

Engine/Cam Belt for 1.8 & 2.0

Alfa Romeo GTV Parts

Tools wise, you need cam locks, dial guage and holder, tenioner tools for both belts and the tools to hold the cam pulleys as you tighten them and variator removal tool. You would do well to have a Ribe bit set although Torx will do the smaller sizes. This is the tough one as buying all the tools will pay for most of the labour charge for someone else to do it! Once you have them though it's alot better on price. Tools here.

TotallyAlfa | All Products

Finally, search the forum for all the guides availiable, (This is a good start )and do your research and just take your time, you will be fine! Good luck!

81 'Sud 1.5 Super - '88 33 1.7 Green Cloverleaf -'92 164 2.0 Twinnie - '94 164 2.0 Twinnie -'99 166 2.5 V6 Sportronic -'00 166 2.5 V6 Manual-'03 156 2.4 JTD Veloce-'97 GTV 2.0 Twinspark

AROC 916 Registrar Gtv Rebuild Project Thread

AO Silver Member
County: Hampshire
Great job on the rebuild. The rest should be easy now.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa GTV & 916 Spider

gtv , lives