3.0 V6 Starting Problem - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 2 Old 01-10-09 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Gauteng

Member car:

Honda FR-V

3.0 V6 Starting Problem

My car has a weird problem.

It's a 2003 CF3 3.0 V6, and last night when I wanted to go home the car wouldn't start. The starter motor works, the engine turns over, but there is no start. It just turns over. And over. It did the same the other night, but after a few turns it kicked into life. It also did it over the weekend while I was at family. Car didn't want to start. Left it there overnight and returned midday the following day and it started with the first turn of the key.

Now I have been scratching my head, but eliminated some of the common problems like the Code Immobilizer. The Code sign goes out after a few seconds with the key in. The car runs perfectly fine once it is started. Nothing different. I have a new MAF, so that is also ruled out as the culprit.

Only thing I can think of is that their is a blockage in the fuel system somewhere. I ran out of fuel a while back (while foolishly driving past various stations) and think that some of the inherently dirty bits in the fuel system is stuck in the fuel filter. What do you guys think?

I haven't checked the spark plugs, but seeing that the car runs perfectly fine normally, I doubt it can be it. The crank sensor may also be at fault, but it hasn't died on the move at all.

It did start raining here in SA a week or so ago, so it may be some electric problem too? But what? Oh, and I have a UniChipQ fitted, but it shouldn't interfere with start-ups should it? Only on throttle positions.

Help will be appreciated. Strange that it only seems to happen at night, after quite a long drive (heat).

2008 Honda FR-V 1.8i Manual
Toyota Conquest (AE92) Race Car - 4A-GE 20V (Blacktop head, Silvertop bottom)
1966 Austin Mini 1000 Mk1
Ex-2005 Alfa Romeo 147 2.0 TS Distinctive 5-dr
Ex-1975 Alfa Romeo GT Junior 2.0 Supercharged (Race Project)
Ex-1984 Alfa Romeo Alfetta 159i (Track Car)
Ex-2003 Alfa Romeo GTV 3.0 V6 24V
Ex-2000 Alfa Romeo 145 2.0 TS Quadrifoglio
Sponsored Links
AO Member
County: Angus

Member car:

gtv v6 & 159 ti

my crank sensor went just a week or so ago and i had similar symptons. does urs start ok in the morning? mine was fine but after a drive and the engine up to temperature it then wouldnt start after stopping. i would need to give it about 20-30 mins to cool down and then it would eventually start. best idea is to get it plugged in.

ps hope u have plenty of petrol in it or u dont look so cool in the middle of the forecourt when u get back in ur car and it doesnt start!

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa GTV & 916 Spider

problem , starting