Oil Change on a V6 Procedure - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 4 Old 28-09-09 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member
County: Hampshire
Oil Change on a V6 Procedure

Hi there,

I would like to perform an oil change on my g/f's gtv imminently. I have never done this on such a large car before and am used to doing this on little fiats with oil filters at the front of the engine.

I'm fairly handy with the spanners, although not amazing.

I'm a bit worried about jacking the car up, fiddling around at the back of the engine to get to the filter and the car falling in on top of me. I have a two ton trolley jack and two 2 ton axel stands. How do I jack the car up and support it properly - pictures would be even better.

Is the sump plug a bolt type or does it need a hex key?

Also along with good quality oil and filter, I have heard many stories of problems with sump plugs, do I need a new one everytime? How much are these? Or can it be re used safely?

Is the oil filter on a V6 impossibly difficult to get at, do I need to remove anything?? Or is it quite easily accessible? I have one of those boa constrictor thingies for loosening the filter.

Is it just worth paying someone to do it.

I do enjoy working on cars but like to do things properly.
Sponsored Links
AO Gold Member
County: Brokopondo
Hi JR! From a twinspark point of view which will be the same as V6 jack NOT! AT SILLS!!!!! If you look just inboard of the jacking point you will see turrets, these are your jacking points, At the front however i jack at bulk head and use a plank of wood. You will need a low entry jack! You can change the oil without jacking the car as the oil filter is at the front left as you look at engine bay, it is a bit awkard to get at but if you have the oil filter tool its a doodle!

Filter is approx a 5 but! be sure to buy a new sump washer if you drain from sump, oil is a personal choice but majority go with semi-synth while others go for fully-synthetic oil in higher milage cars. Be careful when tightening the sump plug as the sump is alloy, always use a new washer and only tighten to specified torque.

Reading again i see that you do want below, Chuk back wheels, handbrake on and jack from bulk head at front!

Hope this helps you fella, but mind i am talking from a twinnie point of view V6 oil filters may be in a different place?

Last edited by EauRouge; 28-09-09 at 15:12.
(Post Link) post #3 of 4 Old 28-09-09 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member
County: Hampshire
Thanks for the tips, more input from a V6 owner would be great just to back this up too!!

How much is the washer and does anyone happen to no where I can get one reasonably quickly?
AO Member

Member car:

EP3 Type R

i got my filter from eb spares, i always use my drive up ramps, 2 breeze blocks either side and a chunky bit of wood to drive up, gets the car nice and high, and its good to know the cat aint gonna fall on you.

never bothered with a new washer, changed the oil loads and it never leaks

10 40 semi synthetic is what i use

the job itself is a doddle (cf3 engine)

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa GTV & 916 Spider

change , oil , procedure