defective meta systems fob - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 1 Old 14-09-09 Thread Starter
AO Member
defective meta systems fob

Thought I'd share he latest adventure with my GTV:

I had a brown round M2500 Meta Systems alarm fob that stopped working. I took it apart and found that the tiny, tiny moving part of the microswitch had disintegrated. Hardly surprising considering that the button was only made of rubber. It had perished beyond belief - so I was more or less pushing directly down onto the micro switch. With little or no no padding to protect it - no wonder it broke!

I don't have the code for the alarm of course ....

I also have a black oblong M100 fob that never seemed to work. So first off I got it some new batteries for it: no dice!

So I bought a replacement round M2500 Meta Systems alarm fob (2nd hand) which is actually black and has a sturdier button. My aim was to transfer the microswitch from the new fob to the circuit board in the old fob and fit it all back into the new fob. You following me so far ...? So I warmed me soldering gear up. I was stoked to find that the microswitch covers actually clip off! So I was able to get the lil plastic bit out and put it in me old switch and clip the cover back on. No soldering required - result!!

Hopefully I have helped a few peeps out here. I didn't see any point in pasting ebay links and stuff in here because the listings may no longer exist. Feel free to ask me anything you want.

I'm willing to do with any of the fiddly bits I mentioned above for you ... for a nominal fee.

My advice to anyone that is lucky enough to still have a working brown fob with a rubber button is to swap it around for a plastic one ASAP!

By the way I did Search thru the Alfa Forums before attempting a repair and found a very unhelpful thread full of doom and gloom. It said that you can't get the fobs anymore and that one of your choices is to live with having no alarm!!! Well its about a year+ since that thread was created and you can still get the fobs matey! Plus living with no alarm is NOT an option!! Our Alfas are already a car theives dream because we have no door frames. So why make it easier for them!!??

PLUS would you really want to invalidate your Car Insurance?

Last year my battery went flat twice whilst I was still on the Alfa Electrical Quirks Learning Curve ... It would appear that the alarm automatically arms itself if you disconnect the main car battery .. it will go off .. trust me!

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa GTV & 916 Spider

defective , fob , meta , systems