"Engine Fan Delaying Device" - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 5 Old 08-09-09 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Greater London
"Engine Fan Delaying Device"

As part of my never-ending mission to find why my car is overheating I think I may have found something. I know the fans aren't working properly.

In the owners manual it says there's a thing called a "Engine Fan Delaying Device" next to the relays under the bonnet (on the left under the plastic cover). It's a little black fuse? box with a picture of a fan on it. I managed to prise the end open a little bit and it looks as though there's supposed to be a large blade fuse in there. Does anyone know if there is actually supposed to be a fuse in there? If so, what size?

OR have I got it all wrong and is this not the Engine Fan Delaying Device.

Almost at the point where I give up doing it myself (or taking it to my local garage) and source an Alfa place. But that's going to mean a day off work and lots of money!
Sponsored Links
AO Member

Member car:

i think you are referring to the fan speed relays, the usual culprit is either these or thr fan speed resistors mounted in the fan casing.
AO Member
County: Lincolnshire
My 1996 TS has been overheating for months, only kept cool by having the low speed fan permanently on, by bridging the contacts on the sensor plug (only early ones apparently used a screw in radiator sensor).

Today I think I have finally solved it. I took out and cleaned the maf sensor using maplins switch cleaner. I also disconnected the battery for a while. When I started it up it idled properly again, so I went for a drive, and the temperature on the guage was lower than it had been, so I removed the fan switch bridge and connected it properly.

After idling for a few minutes the temp reached 90, and the fan kicked in for a few seconds....perfect again.

In summary, a dirty maf seemed to be messing up the ecu settings, causing rough idling and overheating.

Just a thought
AO Member
County: Surrey
I've been having overheating problems with my 2004 JTS which I thought were related to the fan. It doesn't cut in until about 95 degrees, and then only at one speed. I'm not sure if the JTS engine fans should run at two speeds (can any JTS owners confirm?). Despite not knowing, I just spent 20 on a new fan resistor anyway (51736821) and this hasn't made any difference. The MAF sensor thing sounds interesting, I wouldn't have thought that would effect the temp at all, but I guess with modern cars anything is possible. Surely that wouldn't effect the fan speed though so that must be another issue on mine (if indeed it should run at two speeds!).
AO Member
County: Hampshire
Does MAF take air temp as the air enters the engine? If so a dodgey MAF could affect your fans as these run from the temps provided by the ECU i believe - Not working off your gauges. So it could lead to overheating in theory by proxy.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa GTV & 916 Spider