First of all, hello, as I'm new here.
I've had a bit of a thing for Alfas for as long as I can remember (litterally, my first memory was of my dad's Alfetta) and in particular the recent GTV, but I've never owned one. Yesterday I happened to be parked opposite a shiny red twin spark example and staring at it longingly may have finally pushed me over the edge, so I thought I'd come find out a little more.
If I did get one it would be a daily driver and it would probably have to live outside. I have a short urban commute, but I'd probably try and cycle that a reasonable portion of the time, so it would mostly be motorway and rural use. I know the TS is a fine engine, but I've always promised myself an Alfa V6 at some point, so I'm principally looking at the six cylinder.
I wondered if I could ask a few specific questions:
* How much would an independent specialist typically charge for servicing and what are the intervals?
* I wouldn't do anything major, but might dabble with the occasional oil and filter change - what's the access like if you do it yourself?
* What sort of things are likely to crop up beyond routine servicing? Basically... what can I typically expect to spend on an average example in the course of a year or so?
* What sort of motorway and urban MPG figures can I expect and how many miles range do you get from a full tank?
* Can you get a bike rack for a GTV?
* Are there any big differences in the spec for different editions and pre/post facelifts - is there 'one to have'?
* Is rust an issue? It would have to go out in all weathers...
...And is there anything else you can tell me about day-to-day practicalities and costs?
ETA As you can probably tell it's early days yet - is there anyone in the South Herts sort of area who'd let me take a closer look at their GTV? Don't really want to start approaching cars for sale until I'm sure I'm looking to buy, so if anyone wants to show off their pride and joy I'm all ears.