GTV 3.0 - Custom Exhaust System - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 3 Old 04-09-09 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Gauteng

Member car:

Honda FR-V

GTV 3.0 - Custom Exhaust System

I decided a while back that I wanted to do an exhaust on my car so the V6's sound can be fully appreciated. Since I stay in South Africa, and we don't have such strict emission controls as you Euro guys, I decided to do a completely custom, decatted system on my CF3 3.0 V6 24V.

I went to Dawie de Villiers at Glenwood Motors (internationally known for his work). We decided to put on pre-cat branches, as simply cutting out the cats in the standard headers do not make power. Then we opted for a custom system, originally developed by Dawie and Monstro for Monstro's 3.7 GTA.

It sees 2x 58mm pipes coming from the branches, then each goes into their own seperate little cylinder-type silencer. After the two boxes a Y-pipe leads into a single 76mm pipe which eventually ends up in a big, custom free-flow box at the back. A single, big 90mm tailpiece exits at the back.

Front section

Big free-flow at the back

90mm exit

Complete system

After this I had a UniChip Q fitted and the car mapped at Dastek Pretoria (the home of UniChip). We didn't dyno the car before the mods, but the results were spectacular!

Remember that I stay at altitude here on the Highveld of South Africa. About 1400m above sealevel. My car makes 180 wheel HP at Dastek's dyno. It reaches 180.3 wHP at 6000rpm and only drops to 180.1 wHP at 6500rpm. It was mapped with Shell V-Power 95 Octane (my regular fuel).

To give some perspective - a standard GTA 3.2 makes around 170-175 wHP at Dastek. My 3.0 is the strongest 3.0 Dawie de Villiers has ever come across. When my car was in for its mods there was another GTV 3.0 that got exactly the same branches and exhaust (albeit twin exit) as my car, but it also received some GTA cams and it had some headwork done. Afterwards it was also mapped with a UniChip Q and it made 185 wHP! Only 5 more than my car, and I am still stock cams and stock head!

Dastek work out flywheel power by taking the wheel HP, adding 13 - that is then the flywheel KW number. So for my car - 180 wHP + 13 = 193 flywheel KW. That translates to about 260hp.

It feels amazing, and pulls very hard! I did a track day last week, and enjoyed the extra torque and power on the track!! It feels so right now! I just need to go down to the coast now to feel the car's actual power, since up here at altitude the car is very down on power

Here is a clip of me overtaking a GT 1.9 Diesel on my way to the Alfa Track Day last weekend!
YouTube - Alfa Romeo GTV 3 0 V6 24V Overtaking

I still need to take proper vids of the car's sound, but that is the best I have at the moment! It's loud, but I love it!

2008 Honda FR-V 1.8i Manual
Toyota Conquest (AE92) Race Car - 4A-GE 20V (Blacktop head, Silvertop bottom)
1966 Austin Mini 1000 Mk1
Ex-2005 Alfa Romeo 147 2.0 TS Distinctive 5-dr
Ex-1975 Alfa Romeo GT Junior 2.0 Supercharged (Race Project)
Ex-1984 Alfa Romeo Alfetta 159i (Track Car)
Ex-2003 Alfa Romeo GTV 3.0 V6 24V
Ex-2000 Alfa Romeo 145 2.0 TS Quadrifoglio
Sponsored Links
AO Member
County: New South Wales

Member car:

2001 GTV 3.0 V6

wo<! nice work..

looks good>
AO Member
County: Greater London
ha, was watching that vid the other day! Didn't know it was a AO member!

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa GTV & 916 Spider

custom , exhaust , gtv , system