Radio install - won't lock in place - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 4 Old 04-09-09 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Bedfordshire
Radio install - won't lock in place

Similar issue at the beginning of the "Radio Nightmare" post - though I've not had any subsequent electrical problems.

I can't slide my new head unit all the way in. I'm not sure if it's due to wires getting caught, or if it's due to the large heatsink on the back.

Did anyone else run into this? Any solutions?

Sponsored Links
AO Member
County: Hampshire
First thing to do is measure your head unit front to back then measure the available depth to the flat piece of metal that sits behind the headunit in the car. If these measurements stack up as mine did then.....

I found with mine it was a LOT easier with the gear lever surround removed as this gives you a way to get your hand to the rear of the head unit as you feed it in. You can then guide the wires into a gap and not squash them into the supporting flat piece of metal.

However, you should be very careful if removing the lever surround as these are notoriously delicate at the rounded corners where the leather is held in. It's an idea once you have it out to brace it with duct tape to try and add strength.
Club Member
Membro Premio
Club Member Number: 479
County: Norfolk
Remove the side panel on the centre cosole and look to see what is stopping the headunit sliding back fully.
AO Member
County: -

Member car:

Originally Posted by Stixy View Post
Remove the side panel on the centre cosole and look to see what is stopping the headunit sliding back fully.
What he said, I thought my head unit was too big, it was just the wires bunched up. Theres 2 holes at the rear left and right, and you can pull the wires through. Problem solved

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa GTV & 916 Spider

install , lock , place , radio