V6 Remap - Page 2 - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
AO Silver Member
County: -
Engine ecu remap = shorter engine life.

Having said that if you don't maintain an engine properly it is far more likely to pop than someone who has remapped and runs it enthusiatically, but maintains it well.

If you are thinking of a remap consider how often do you change oil? Are you willing to run higher ron petrol to suit a more aggressive map?

Have you checked over the engine first and put it on a rolling road? Whats the point in remapping an engine that is 20bhp down on standard?
Sponsored Links
AO Silver Member
County: Greater London

Member car:

Alfa GT 1.9 JTDm

Originally Posted by Biscione View Post
I take your point, You can't argue with the fact the engine is giving out more power/torque so is under more stress though.

Fair point, but honestly speaking its not that much stress, espeacially on the TS's and V6's as they are Naturally Aspirated. But i've heard of a few JTD's etc mapped to the extreme with a lot of black smoke on acceleration and the turbo goes pop eventually on the new brera's, spiders and 159's you can block the particle filter.

A bad map can cause stress on the engine as there are some maps out there done by unprofessionals who just chuck a whole lot of fuel and modify the ignition timing, too much fuel = bore washing running too rich, melting pistons etc etc, can also happen if u run v6's to lean. Also you'll always keep tripping anti knock sensors, so it will retard the timing.

So its always good practice to go to a good mapper who knows what he/she is talking about and has a rolling road and equipment to measure the fueling when running the car on the Dyno.

Also my old 146 TI had like 140k when i sold it and was mapped at 65k miles, not a single problem. Suppose it depends on how you look after your engines - oil change every 6 months, warm up engine before driving hard, cambelt changed on time, right amount of coolant/water combination, good quality fuel, all sorts of things, list is endless!

I say Remap the car somewhere good, stick to a good maintenance schedule and enjoy!

Last edited by GTV Bertone; 17-09-09 at 16:16.
AO Member
County: Buckinghamshire
I have it back now and it drives beautifully, the difference is, as predicted by all, clearer in the area of torque.

The konis have transformed the ride, which is handy as the roads round my way are appalling.
Identity Confirmed
Authorised Trader
County: Hampshire

Member car:

alfa 33 2.0 race

Engines are fine with a good Remap
we see some remaps that have just had
say 10 degs of ing timing added all over
fuel added really bad

so they fell faster and low down driving is better
but at the top they are to rich and start to det
then the knock sensor pulls some timing out and
save the day

I will post a really bad map I have from a 147 GTA
when I have time

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa GTV & 916 Spider