About time there was an update on this.
Got it all running and MOTd, but I wasn't happy with 3 aspects of it:
1) Squealing from aux belt when cold
2) Hesitation at 3,500 rpm, accompanied by blue smoke
3) Exhaust knackered
Sealing the exhaust studs and the inlet manifold (stupid metal type) improved things a bit, but didn't cure problem 2. So, I've pulled the head off again to re-do the valve stem seals. Also looks like my best efforts to make the gasket seal properly around the variator oilways didn't work very well.
So, I ordered a new (composite) inlet gasket and head gasket. They arrived today. Both were bent in the post (poorly packed) and the inlet one was the metal type again. [Makes 'annoyed Muttley' noise]. New ones are being dispatched...
While the head's been off, I've changed the alternator and fitted an almost-new rear section of exhaust too.