Car sometimes stalls on start up, WHY? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 3 Old 19-08-09 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: New South Wales
Car sometimes stalls on start up, WHY?

On some occasions when i go to start my car the engine will turnover and literally stall and/or turn off after 1/2 a second. I turn the key again and she starts fine.
Its been doing it a few times now and just wondering what it may be.
Any ideas
Sponsored Links
AO Member
County: Kent

Member car:

yr 2000 GTV

Hi There

When I used to get this it was suggested it was the crank angle sensor. But it was not. It was the MAF. Or at least it has not done it since I changed the MAF. Which was a couple of months ago, and I drive the car every day. My MAF was buggered in any case because the car would not pull cleanly to the red line (2.0TS). It does now

Try unplgging the MAF and see if the stalling goes away.

All the best

AO Silver Member
County: -
Mine did this yesterday except it didn't hold idle at all on the whole trip home. Started fine this morning and last night when I checked again. But in the midday heat (17c in the morning vs 42c later on) it would not hold idle at all. I also noticed the throttle was sticking so I'm guessing I need to take the MAF out and the throttle body and give it all a good clean (contact cleaner for the MAF, carb cleaner for the throttle body). I expect it will fail again when it heats up today. Probably something to do with the gunk getting sticky when it gets warm or maybe not even related and just coincidence... Of course it could be that it knows I want to sell it and it's having a fanny fit (all my Alfa's have done this!!! ).

164 V6 24v "Zender Alfa Sport"

Past glories: Sud 1.5ti, Alfetta GTV, GTV6, 33 1.5ti, 33 1.7ie, 164 3.0 V6, 164 3.0 V6, GTV 1.8TS, 156 1.6 TS, 159 2.4 JTDm QTronic.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa GTV & 916 Spider

car , stalls , start