Brand Spanking (well 2nd hand) GTV 2.0!! - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 2 Old 18-08-09 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Victoria

Member car:

2004 Alfa GT 3.2

Thumbs Up Brand Spanking (well 2nd hand) GTV 2.0!!

Hi all, I just purchased a model 2000 GTV 2.0 and I'm obviously pretty happy right now

As with all my car purchases, I got it cheap. In fact, my brother is a car dealer, so I bought it through the trade at what I consider to be a decent discount to the average price. There are however a couple of things I want sorted with the car and hope the readers here may be able to offer some advice. The sale price of the car lets me spend a bit of money without it becoming expensive. Being fairly closely involved with the used car business, I've driven a heap of cars, and I have to say that this car is easily one of the most involving, rewarding machines I've ever had the pleasure to drive. I also used to own early 80s alfas (Alfasuds mainly), and lancias (betas mainly) when I was a teenager and the old memories are being rekindled many years later with this car - even the smell seems to be the same!! st

So - the list of things I'd like sorted are as follows (not really in order of importance)

1. The stereo doesn't work - it's a Phillips 'CarIn' system with navigation etc that was sold here in Australia on these cars from 99 onwards I think. As the unit doesn't switch on, I've got no idea if the car is fitted with the 'dealer optioned' satnav. What's strange is that it would appear that power is getting to the system as when the headlights are switched on, there is a little red light on the on/off button that gets illuminated, so I doubt this is a power supply or fuse issue. I've looked and looked but it doesn't seem like these things have a security code that must be entered when the mains power is disconnected (which it was). So, if any readers have had a similar problem, please let me know!

2. The tires need replacing at the front. The current tires are Bridgestone Potenzas (not sure of exact series) and the rears probably have another year in them, but the front are GONE! Any suggestions as to what to replace with? I'll weight up the $$ and see if I can get all 4 done.

3. The brakes transfer a lot of vibration/wobble through the steering wheel, particularly at highway speeds. I imagine the tires aren't helping this situation much, but I'd say the rotors will need to be replaced (could try for machining too). What are the suggested internet sources for brake rotors on this car?

4. The drivers door, or to be precise, the window has a couple of issues. When the door is closed, the window seals outside the upper door frame rubber/plastic so it sticks out a bit (3 mm ~). The only way to seal it properly at the top is to wind the window down a bit, then back up. Has anyone has that problem? How'd you fix it?

4b. The other issue is that lower down on this drivers window, the seal with the rubber doesn't quite get sealed properly. It's where the rubber on the door frame seems to be joined and there's a little indentation. I'm not sure if the rubber is worn or not, or if this indentation is meant to be there. Would it be worth just replacing the rubber, or has anyone done other fixes to stop this?

Ok - I've been a real leech of your time here, so thanks for reading to the end. If you can help out I'd really appreciate it. I'm just so glad to once again own an Alfa, and can't believe what I was thinking for 15 years!!!!!

Sponsored Links
AO Member
County: New South Wales
Yay another Aussie, welcome, if you get a chance post some pictures up.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa GTV & 916 Spider

2nd , brand , gtv , hand , spanking