Door handle not working. - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 4 Old 15-08-09 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

Help Door handle not working.

I was planning to do a bit of maintenance on the alfa and I'm trying to do the doors.
Unfortunately I haven't done much planning yet so here we go. Basically, the passenger door won't open from the inside and I need to get the windows down and open it from the outside. Now this is excusable if I get out and open the door for the ladies, but if my mates are passengers then, not really.

So, what tools do I need to get the panels off? Only ever worked on Jap cars which use the good ol phillips and flat head screwdrivers so this first bit has got me stumped. It looks like a combination between alley key and a phillips, is this a torque/star or some special alfa tool?

Also, could I replace the wing mirror with this panel removed? I think I might as well do the door speakers while I'm at it. Any idea what size the standard ones are? Top tweeter and bottom one?

Apologies in advance for the random thought process.

Sponsored Links
Regional Support
For Lincolnshire - AOL
I would think that your interior handle problem is down to the Bowden Cable that connects it to the lock itself, should be pretty obvious once you have the door card off.

Door card removal and refit isn't difficult but it is fiddly and I find that an extra pair of hands when refitting can save a lot of hassle. Most important is to check EVERYTHING at EVERY stage of refitting, otherwise you'll be doing it all again when you are left with things like totally frozen locks. I found this out the hard way !

The correct position of the Bowden cable is very important, if this is wrong you have some odd symptoms. Best way to check this out is to put the door card back with just a couple of screws in the top, this way you can get your arm inside from the bottom to adjust the cable position. Make sure everything works before going any further, including locking with the key.

The link will give you the basic how to.

Have fun !!!!

How To... Fix Wind Noise Issues on GTV/Spiders

Have you seen the Lincolnshire Lounge ? Don't stay off the radar, come on in and have a look !

Next Event - TBA

Look Here ! -TBA

Old radar men never die - their echoes just fade away in accordance with the inverse fourth power law.

Last edited by Nige005; 16-08-09 at 09:55.
AO Platinum Member
County: Oxfordshire
On my fiat coupe, the plastic clip that holds the end of the cable to the handle broke off.
(Post Link) post #4 of 4 Old 20-08-09 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

Me again!

Fallen at the first hurdle, one of the allen key bolts at the bottom of the door seems to be "stuck". It's located right at the bottom and only visable with the cubby hole attachement removed.

When I try to loosen it, the "washer" or bolt housing/whatever its called (located between the door card and the metal of the door keeps rotating together with the allen key bolt. I've tried gripping it with long nose pliers but it just loses its grip when I use the allen key to turn it (in either direction).

Repeated turning in does not work, and trying to wedge something whilst turning the allen key just seems to pull the metal skin, not good!

Anyone have any ideas?

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa GTV & 916 Spider

door , handle , working