Water Pump and Idler - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 2 Old 10-08-09 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: New South Wales

Member car:

2003 Spider JTS

Water Pump and Idler

Hey guys,

So I just got my delivery of goods from AreseSpares

1 x Cambelt Kit (timing belt)
1 x Balance Belt Kit
1 x Variator
1 x MAF
1 x Waterpump

all up just over $1000 AUD.

I am having it all changed tomorrow but I have been reading on there forums people saying ohh change the waterpump as its plastic on the 2.0L and V6 dosn't need to be changed as it is metal....

Also, the idlers are metal (aluminium or watever i dunno) why would this need to be replaced, im wondering.....i can understand the tensioner as it's plastic...but yeah. I'm not complaining just seems strange.

ANYWAY! The waterpump I got is for my car but it's metal! WTF? I mean thats great! but isn't it suppose to be plastic? I'm curious to see what the one is made of inside the engine, I guess i'll find out tomoz.

have a look...

Sponsored Links
They were upgraded at some point to metal impellers when Alfa found they had a problem. It's likely yours (being the later JTS engine) had a metal pump from new. I don't know when it happened but it was more of an early Twin Spark problem. Someone maybe along with some dates etc, but suffice it to say, metal is good, you have metal, no harm in replacing after 6 years anyway whilst the belts are being done.

Good practise to replace the idlers, metal or otherwise, as it's not the 'teeth' that wear but the bearing itself. Seizes, comes apart, or whatever and it's a cambelt failure.....engine rebuild.

Best of luck with the work, you can rest assured it's all the right bits.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa GTV & 916 Spider

idler , pump , water