Fixed loads of door problems! - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 3 Old 25-07-09 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Bedfordshire
Fixed loads of door problems!

Finally bit the bullet and spent the afternoon working on my Spidey's doors. There's been a bunch of things bugging me ...
  • The passenger door card had several splits and cracks
  • The passenger door tweeter had fallen inside since a lug had broken on the cover that kept it in place
  • There was a mystery "clonk" on shutting the passenger door, and whenever going over any bump
  • If the roof was up, the drivers window would catch on the roof at the top rear corner when the door was closed
  • The driver's interior door handle was a little loose

I'd got a secondhand passenger door card from Autolusso (with tweeter), and set to work. Passenger door first ...

Getting the existing door card off was fairly straightforward (if you follow any of the published guides). Someone had evidently had the door card off before and made a total ****** of it ... the fabric door liner (inside the card) was a right mess, held on with various bits of gaffa tape, and the door card itself was cracked in places that looked as though someone had just got fed up with all the allen screws and had just yanked it! The clonking noise was clearly coming from something to do with the winder mechanism, so that had to come out. Followed the workshop manual instructions for removing the glass and the winder - and as I took the winder out, a large circular wound spring fell out. I'm guessing it's supposed to help the winder motor somehow - the passenger window has always moved a bit slower than the driver's one. I replaced the spring, the winder mechanism and the glass, checked it all for movement and door closure, and the clonk is gone! The window still moves slowly though, so I've probably not got the spring installed properly. Also, the window glass is *very* close to the outside skin of the door - had big trouble getting the window seal back in place. Refitted the replacement door card, and it now looks (and sounds) so much better!

The driver's door was much simpler. Whipped the door card off (which had clearly never been removed before). The interior door handle floppiness was quickly diagnosed - the little spring had broken, so I replaced it with the one from the now useless old passenger door card. Then adjusted the rear stop for the window down a tad, and now the window doesn't foul on the hood. Replaced the door card, and all is well!

All in all took about four hours (and several beers).

Any clues on how best to refit the winder spring, or on why the passenger window glass is so close to the outer door skin, would be gratefully accepted.
Sponsored Links
AO Member
County: Bucuresti

Member car:

Spider TS - Red

I have the same problem with the driver door handle. It has gone a little loose after a small crack sound. Can you be more specific about the broken spring please?
(Post Link) post #3 of 3 Old 12-10-09 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Bedfordshire
There's a small spring in the hinge mechanism for the door handle. I've read another post on here somewhere that someone had managed to use the spring from a clothes peg as a temporary fix, as they're about the same size! I had one handy from the old passenger door card, but the alternative would be to get one from a breaker.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa GTV & 916 Spider

door , fixed , loads , problems