"Little Box Behind the Ignition Barrel" - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 2 Old 25-07-09 Thread Starter
County: Greater London

Member car:

2001 Spider

"Little Box Behind the Ignition Barrel"

Two questions... I need to remove the "Little box behind the ignition barrel". I have no idea what its called though. All I know is I need to remove it to send off with one of my lock barrels in order to get a new red key cut.

So, question one; what's it called? (so I can google the thing and at least know what I am looking for).

Question two; any ideas how I get it out. Do I need to just remove the casing around the ignition or part of the console. Any how to guides you could point me to would be great.

Sponsored Links
Regional Support
For Lincolnshire - AOL
Can't help you about the " box " unless it's the aerial for the key CODE system but this wouldn't be required for key cutting.

If you just need a new red key you can get these done at Timpsons and similar places. A lot of people say that a red key can be cloned from a red key and I have no reason to disbelieve this. What I know for sure is that reds can be cloned from the Master Brown key.

If you are having to have the ECU/Alarm reprogrammed, the " box ," I don't think that this is behind the key barrel.

I think that what you are looking for is the Immobilizer, don't think that's there either. Have a search on here about it, lot's of Threads on here about key issues that you can plough through.

I'm talking about a standard key here for a P1. I know nothing about the " plipper " keys so I may be talking rubbish here.

It's not unknown !

Whatever, hope you get sorted out.

Have you seen the Lincolnshire Lounge ? Don't stay off the radar, come on in and have a look !

Next Event - TBA

Look Here ! -TBA

email: nige005@alfaowner.co.uk

Old radar men never die - their echoes just fade away in accordance with the inverse fourth power law.

Last edited by Nige005; 25-07-09 at 15:02.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa GTV & 916 Spider