GTV heated rear screen-Help!! - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
GTV heated rear screen-Help!!

Anyone know how you can fix what seems a common problem with the fault on the GTV rear screen?

It's now that time of the year where it gets annoying again & I wanna get it sorted.

This seems a widespread problem does anyone have a screen that works properly??

I've checked the fuses relays etc & all seem OK. The heated mirrors work OK which I believe are on the same circuit fuse/relay as the screen. I was convinced it must be a loose connection at the screen end so I had the rear seats & parcel shelf out to check, but no - the connections are all OK?
Anyone know what the fix is for this??

Took it to the dealer who said 'need a new rear screen @ 480' which is B******KS cause I tested the element with a circuit tester & its OK (they just make it up - I'm sure - dealers GRRRR!!) .

Any electrical whizzies out there sorted this one?? As a last resort I'll I guess I'll have to book it in at an auto electrician.
Sponsored Links
My HRW doesn't work either. Like you I've checked the fuses and they're fine but still no voltage at the window connections, and also like you the heated mirrors don't work either. I suspect that the electronic control unit is at fault as I had continuity across the terminals on the window itself and the the relay is ok. Problem is, I can't find the ECU. The manual suggests it's somewhere under the dash near the steering wheel, but doesn't say exactly where.

If you do get it fixed could you post the cause of the problem on here as like you say it seems to be a common problem.

By the way, a word of warning; If you are removing the connectors from the copper terminals on the window be very, very careful I wasn't and ended up pulling the copper connector off the window. If I can't think of a way to fix it back on it'll have to be a new window.
Tim P,
Will keep you posted on this when (if) I get it sorted.

Incedently my heated mirrors DO work which is why I'm confused cause as I understand it they're on the same circuit as the screen??

You might be able to fix your terminals with some of that liquid metal epoxy glue/weld stuff you can buy in Halfords I think it's less than a tenner a tube - so long as it's metallic & conducts it should work - might be worth a try.
Global Mod Team

Member car:

Alfa 156 GTA SW

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:<hr /><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by GTVBOY:
Incedently my heated mirrors DO work which is why I'm confused cause as I understand it they're on the same circuit as the screen??

</strong><hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">They're definitely controlled from the same switch, but if they're in parellel, then it'd be possible for one circuit to be broken and not the other.
Maybe your break occurs after the circuits split while Tim's occurs at a point where the same wiring is used for both?
Possibly at the switch itself?

Seen an offensive/spam post? Report it! Click the or button next to the post.
AO Rules - AO Gallery - AO Classified adverts - AO Club - AO Traders

"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so." - Douglas Adams

I Nomes & Gibbo

"You know, sometimes the world seems like a pretty mean place."
"That's why animals are so soft and huggy."
- Calvin and Hobbes

To err is human, to moderate ursine.
In my experience with car electrics 99% of the time it is the negative/earth connection. On a single wire system the return electrical current passes through the car body.

To check, run a wire from the battery to the HRW and check if the screen matrix works.

If it doesnt then its the earth connection.
If it works the problem is with the supply side.
mine is exactly as you have described.

thanks for the tip.

I tested for continuity across the heater element - this was fine. Then I tested for a voltage between earth and either of the element connectors - nothing. Then I tested for continuity between earth and either connector - NO CONTINUITY !

Can't understand - could both the live feed and the earth be switched by the relay ?

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa GTV & 916 Spider

gtv , heated , rear , screenhelp