Soft top stuck - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 3 Old 10-11-03 Thread Starter
AO Member
Soft top stuck

The central button on the mid console blinks red when starting car - showing that there is a fault with the hood.

Sure enough I cannot open the hood on this button - I have to first go to the main buttons behind the seat to release the hood catch ( I think ). After this you can use the central switch again.
Closing the hood appears not to be a problem.

The handbook says go to the dealer with the problem. My dealer could not even find the extra switches - no chance there.

Help anyone ??
Sponsored Links
AO Member
County: Cornwall
You're not alone! Mine does this when I've not used the hood for a while. Once I've used the manual buttons to open the hood it works again - pretty annoying. It's due for a service soon so It'll be sorted then hopefully. Alfa reckon its due to dirt getting in the hood anchors at the rear causing friction - I reckon it's dodgy elcetrics! Hope you solve it!
(Post Link) post #3 of 3 Old 14-11-03 Thread Starter
AO Member
You actually touched on a nerve. When first delivered the release didn“t always work - I had to put a hand on the roof to help the release - I told the dealer. After I got the car back he explained he had "greased " in the threads.

Now I am thinking these threads should not have been greased, but oiled. Like your dirt - the grease may increase the friction, depending upon which type he used.
So this weekend I am going to try to degrease and oil instead.

Incidently mine does not clear any more - it is permanently out.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa GTV & 916 Spider

soft , stuck , top