Car stops - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
smudger 50
Car stops

I've recently bought a second hand GTV and drove this home without problems. When starting the vehicle on Monday am the engine died if revs fell below 1500. This problem has persisted - if the revs fall below 1500 the car stops - this can be dangerous - any ideas. Smudger 50
Sponsored Links
AO Member

Member car:

Hello Smudger and welcome to AO

I've no personal experience of such a problem, but it sounds similar to the problem ukrickywilliams has been having with the idle actuator. I've also heard of similar problems being linked to the air flow meter.

See the thread here for more info about the idle actuator.

Hope you get to the bottom of it soon!
AO Member

Member car:

GTV 2.0TS Lusso

My 2.0 GTV does this occasionally. Someone told me before that if you put your foot down for a bit it'll go away. It's happened 3 times in the last six months and it seems to work every time. hth
mine turned out to be an exhaust blowing in several places and the air meter etc getting confused. i hope that's what it is, i'm paying £320 for a new exhaust at national tyres redhill on saturday.
AO Member
Smudger is the injector light coming on when the revs drop?

If so its very probably just dirty injectors. In Malta this happens to me quite often, and I notice it happens when I either fill her up from some old fuel pump that wldn't have all the modern filters etc, or when I run around at length on reserve, thus sucking up all the cr@p at the bottom of my tank right into the injectors. This always clears out however when I fill her up again...

Moreover I notice that using injector cleaners such as Redex reduces the frequency of these episodes.

'I live my life a quarter-mile at a time...'

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa GTV & 916 Spider

car , stops