Why me!?! - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Guy Warrington
Why me!?!

Just a few weeks ago I was saying that my engine kept cutting out every so often as I accelerated. That's mysteriously cured itself although if it happens again and puts my life in jeopardy again i.e being stranded in the middle lane of a busy roundabout, then I'm gona get a new air flow meter as I'm convinced this is the problem. But...anyway, new problem. Handling is shocking. Steering has lots of play in it and feels heavy and unprecise (like my old uno...but worse!) It's not making any noises or anything and my fluid is topped right up. Could it be the steering pump, steering column, rack, or suspension bushes etc? When I'm stationary and try turning it doesn't even feel power assisted! Please give me a clue of my impending finacial doom!
Sponsored Links
AO Silver Member

Member car:

1973 Spider 2000

I didn't have any relevant guesses about what could be wrong with you car, so I didn't bother to post earlier. So please know that you're not being totally ignored. What was the final diagnosis? I hope it wasn't too serious.
Turn the steering full lock and you should hear the pump labouring. If not then it could be nakkered. Can't think of anything else

Guy Warrington
Yeah it does make a sound, but no louder than before...I don't think. It's just seems to take a bit more turning to get round corners. I used to be able to flick me wrists to get round sweeping bends but now I'm nearly crossing my arms! It still feels power assisted though. Basically I can be driving straight and turn the steering a slight bit from left to right i.e 2 inches and the car does sod all! As you know the steering is 'supposed' to be very quick and light. I'm really not sure whether it's something mechanical like the rack or the power steering pump. I'll get it checked out next month when I get paid as I've just blown my wages on a trip to Tailand for Christmas...sod's law I guess. Think I may go on egg.com for a 6 month interest free credit card after this actually!

Thanks anyway!
AO Platinum Member

Member car:

1750GTV 147Lusso

Do your front tyres look evenly worn?
AO Silver Member
County: Kobenhavn

Member car:

156 GTA SW

I'm not to familiar with the recent range of spider/GTV's. Id you can talk a mate/the missus into starting the car while you pinch the hose from the servo pump, you might have found the cullprit. If the hose bulges at full lock, it'll be the steering rack, if you feel nuthing, the servo pump is prolly knackered.

AO Silver Member

Member car:

145 1.8 TS

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:<hr /><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by RicksAlfas:
<strong>Do your front tyres look evenly worn?</strong><hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Check your front tyre pressures are even!

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa GTV & 916 Spider