selenia vs castrol - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 5 Old 05-10-03 Thread Starter
AO Member
selenia vs castrol

Is selenia engine oil really the best oil to use in my 2L GTV ?
Would castrol magnetec be as good or even better ?

The hand book states that selenia is 100% synthetic, which I thought was designed for modern cars.

My GTV is 8 years old, was it ahead of it's time or are the year's catching up on me ?
Sponsored Links
AO Silver Member
County: West Yorkshire
Earthman, only Selenia Racing is fully synthetic, Selenia 20K, as recomended for the Twin Sparks, is semi synthetic. Castrol Magnatec is Semi Synthetic as well, and my local AR dealer uses it when servicing on the TS engines.
You shouldn't have any problems with either.
Do a search for 'Oily Dilema' on the 156,147 etc lounge, there is a bit about it all on there.
AO Gold Member
County: -
I used Castrol 10W-60 R Synthetic in my 1995 SEAT Ibiza GTI-VW 2E Golf motor 2.0 litres.

I used this oil from the first oil change and there after relaced every 7500 kms (5000 miles)
After 160,000 Kms/100000 miles the car was still not using any oil between oil changes.

I now use Castrol 10W-60 synthetic it in my 147 TS which has the same engine as your GTV.

Over kill, probably ,but as far as I am concered oil is cheap compared to an egine rebuild.

In my older Alfa's ie Italian Government made Alfa's as opposed to FIAT made Alfa's I used 20W-50/20W-60/25W-70 oils depending on the age

AO Platinum Member
That'd work in Aussie but be careful - 60W turns to wax in our Northern climate.

Selenia or Magnatec will both give good results in 10W40 flavour. The key is just changing it religiously - 6000 miles would make sense on a '95 GTV.

Ralf S.
AO Gold Member
County: -
Are you refering to straight 60 weight oil or the modified 10W oil that behaves like a 60 weight oil at 100 C and is called 10W60 such as Castrol 10W-60 R synthetic

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa GTV & 916 Spider

castrol , selenia