hand brake light coming on while moving - help!! - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
hand brake light coming on while moving - help!!

recently acquired a beautiful 96 spider but don't seem to be having much luck so far. the latest problem is that the hand brake light (!)keeps coming on while i'm going along (and the hand brake definitely isn't on), particularly when i accelerate in second and third? why is this? is it unsafe to drive? (i'm now on holiday 300 miles from home, and unfortunately one and a half hours from the nearest alfa dealer!) any advice gratefully received...
Sponsored Links
Global Mod Team

Member car:

Alfa 156 GTA SW

The handbrake light is also the brake warning light. Check your brake fluid NOW!
Usual cause is the pads have worn causing the brake fluid level to drop which in turn illuminates the handbrake/low level indicator. This will lightup before the pad wear indicator.

As Bazza sez, check your brake fluid reservoir but also check your pads.

AO Gold Member
County: Aberdeenshire

Member car:

Zender 156 V6

The wire to the pad indicator could also have come loose or damaged and be touching an earth - causing the light to come on.
Different light I think. wink

AO Member
I say 99% its low brake fluid - if the pads are ok on wear... my Spi does it occassionally, haven't figured if its the Maltese climate that makes it vanish or the far too common braking from warp speed

If you are having to add fluid regularly my guess is the seals are going on your clutch slave cylinder. You will probably see a pool of fuid on top of the gearbox. Assuming the engine configuration is the same as my 155. The good news is they are cheap and easy to change.
Thanks very much. The fluid is down a bit, although nowhere near the min . level. Will top it up though and get pads checked when i get home.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa GTV & 916 Spider

brake , coming , hand , light , moving