Update! Shes home with me!
The drive back was great, i had a right grin on my face going round the North Circular. Once you get it over 3000 revs it really flies doesnt it! Mines only the 2.0litre ts but it seems like a really nice engine to me.
Cant get over how nice it is inside to sit in and drive. Alfa really do know a thing or two about styling. Looking through the receipts it appears that the previous owner (who was very tall) had the drivers seat lowered. Not sure what that entailed, but im pretty short. Hope i dont look too low in it!
I definitely did the looking back thing. About 5 times in fact! The car looks really nice to be from every angle. Definitely needs a good clean though after all the rain this week.
I hate the fact that i cant see it from the windows in my flat. Its in the rear car park and is literally just out of sight of the kitchen window. Never mind!
After having a nice drive in it and playing with the various nobs and buttons, everything seems to be working ok (touch wood!). Ive had a little further inspection though being picky and found a few things i would like to try and get sorted to make it even more perfect.
1) There are a few scracthes here and there. Nothing major really, and what you would expect on a 7 year old car, but there is a semi-notable scuff on the rear bumper passenger side which i was aware of already. There is a bit of a swirly scratch on the bonnet too. Hoping a good clean and wax will improve things a little though. Im thinking of getting Chips away out to sort the bumper and maybe the little chips it has down the edges of the drivers door. They any good? Or might i be better dabbing the chips with some paint myself and saving some cash?!
2) I need a new Alfa badge for the bonnet. The current one has warped and is cracked. Cant have that! Its my pride and joy. Are these easy to source and change?
3) No alarm, which again i was aware of. Might get one fitted. Not sure how much this could cost though and not a priority really as the imobiliser still works of course with the key system.
4) Audio - Oh my god the speakers! Seriously, they are awful. Thank god the engine note is so good! Im not sure if they have blown or are just really tinny, but they sound rubbish. Im not a big fan of taking off the trim though and faffing with speakers as past experience suggests stuff never seems to go back on as tightly again. But maybe if someone did it properly for me that could work. Need to look in to what cheapish speakers i could get instead. The head unit also seems to have a couple of buttons missing. Maybe a new one of these two, seeing as they dont cost. Ive never changed a radio over before though. Is it simple to do on a GTV?
5) Last tiny thing. My brake calipers at the front are pretty dirty and black from what i can tell. Id love to make them shiny and red though. Bearing in mind im no mechanic, how easy would this be to do? Im guessing they would need substantial cleaning and then a paint.
Im still buzzing from picking her up! One of my mates came round to have a look just now and was suitably impressed. Its safe to say i am too! Think i got a decent deal (fingers crossed).
Car has done 68000 miles with a FSH (last 3 done at Jamie Porters) and there are a load of receipts with lots of regular oil changes etc, so it seems well loooked after. It was originally a demonstrator and then the guy i purchased it from has had it for the past 6 years or so (its a 52 reg). Also has a years tax and MOT. I managed to get it for £3100, although the cam belt is due as it was last done at 36000 miles. This seem like a good deal to you guys? I was quite happy as i had actually budgeted for a bit more, but in the end thought it was worth taking for this money as it gives me some leeway on insurance and any work that i might need doing soonish.
Will try and post some pics this weekend, once i figure out how and get some time to take the pics. Every time i approach it at the moment i just want to go for a drive!